Sunken Suzuki DT30

Segal_ZA

Cadet
Hi all,

Im looking for some advice please,
I bought a 2013 Suzuki DT30 from someone really cheap. The boat it was on flipped in the surf and the motor sunk badly in sea water. They claimed from insurance and unfortunately left the motor as is in the open air.

When I got the motor is was seized solid but with some ATF and a little pulling on a breaker bar I freed the motor. It really never took too much effort. I have flushed the motor out with ALOT of diesel and 2 stroke oil. At first the stuff coming out of the exhaust was a grey/brown muk but now I am getting clean diesel or 2 stoke oil out. I have ordered a bore scope to look at the cylinders and rings but from the spark plug hole they look to be in good shape. The outboard turns over smoothly and has good compression. I checked this with the recoil starter.

Now my question is do I brave it and start the motor? Everything seems to have survived and I have cleaned the carbs, fuel pump etc. I dont want to risk destroying the motor but here where I live parts arnt that easy to come by and are extremely expensive. Do you recommend I:
1) Start it and see
2) Do a top end rebuild
3) Do a full powerhead rebuild

Ive attached a picture of the top crank bearing, while it looks terrible it turns smoothly.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated,
Regards,
Dani

Attachments

• photo285258.jpg
    photo285258.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo285259.jpg
    photo285259.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo285260.jpg
    photo285260.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 0

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
my guess is the crankshaft and all of the bearings and other shiny machined surfaces inside that motor are rust pitted.

rip it apart and inspect what all needs to be replaced

robert graham

Admiral
The length of time the motor spent submerged in the salt water( hours or days) is a critical factor. It sounds like it was quite a while from being submerged to being drained and rinsed with fresh water. My guess is the motor might be used for parts....