Suzuki DT85 - difficult to shift into reverse

ferencg

Cadet
Hello fellow boat enthusiasts,
I have a DT85 that is new to me, year 1988 (or so), I'm trying to resurrect. I noticed that it was very difficult to change it into reverse - motor is not running yet. I disassembled the lower unit, and all the gears seem to be in good condition. Outside of the gear case, I can easily engage the clutch dog. When assembled, shifting into reverse is very hard, even if I rotate the drive shaft.
I'm suspecting it might have to do with incorrect shimming. Before I take it in for service, my question is:
Is my assumption correct that I should be able to shift into forward and reverse relatively easily by pushing and pulling on the shift rod with bare hands? Or is what I'm seeing normal, and shifting works better when the motor is running and the propeller shaft is in motion?
Thank you, Ferenc

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
I believe shifting by hand will be difficult.
I do not know that much about your Suzuki, but Yamahas are spring loaded to forward gear. Meaning you have to over come the spring to get it into reverse, and it the clutch dogs do line up well when the motor or prop shaft is not turning you can bend things by trying to force it into reverse

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The motor should be running before you try shifting.
Not running:try moving the prop as you shift.