1999 Yamaha 150 (OX-66) Impeller replacement Shaft Feels Tight After New Impeller

diver94

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi,

I just replaced the impeller on both 1999 Yamahas 150 OX 66 lower units. But now the shaft feels tight when I turn it by hand (about the same on both units). I followed the instructions form other postings online and I used Yamaha parts. I put a new impeller, new housing, new base and gaskets. I also put some marine grease on the impeller and a little inside housing and base. I did turn the shaft clockwise to ensure the fins are in the right direction. However, when I turn the shaft by hand (of course clockwise) it feels tight. The shaft moves but I feel resistance form the impeller. The shaft moves freely without the housing on the impeller.
1-Is it because the new impeller makes it tight?
Thanks!

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
Are the fins touching/rubbing or is it coming from hub?

diver94

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Are the fins touching/rubbing or is it coming from hub?

it feels like the fins are rubbing against the housing. The shaft does not look like its 100% centered on the hub. But the resistance I feel is evenly distributed. It feels (on both lower units) like the fins are a bit tight. Again, the shaft and fins move freely without the housing. And...the both feel about the same way with the housing on. It moves when I turn the shaft clockwise, but it takes some effort. I will try to post a short video.

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
Sorry my bad, when I saw Yamaha I though PWC. There should be resistance with new or old impeller, more so with new because the rubber is stiffer. From my angle I don't think there is a problem

diver94

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Sorry my bad, when I saw Yamaha I though PWC. There should be resistance with new or old impeller, more so with new because the rubber is stiffer. From my angle I don't think there is a problem
Got it. I guess the old impellers were a little worn out. It felt easier to turn the shaft before I put the new impellers.Thanks!!

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Impeller blades compresses and expands CW inside an eliptical liner. Lliners are not round as one would imagine. When impeller is brand new and huge as found on larger HP-OB's will feel much more resistance compared to a much smaller impeller when turning drive shaft by hand. Once pumping water will slide much smoother. It's good to water lube, light grease impeller and liner before assembling housing, impeller will slide and accommodate much faster inside liner than doing it completely dry.

Happy Boating

Last edited: