wiring question

kentrx1

Seaman
I just purchased a 70 hp 1987 2 stroke yamaha and need a little help with the wiring. all the wiring was cut loose when the motor was removed. the main wire from the throttle control (which has either 10 or 12 wires in it) i have the other end of it coming out of engine and it is obvious how it hooks up The engine also has another small group of wires in that are wrapped together----three as i recall, but maybe 4, that i do not have a clue as to what they do. there is also another wiring group that has a plug on the end coming out of the engine. This motor was originally installed on a bass tracker and i am wondering if some of the wires went to some of the live wells, etc. thanks for any help offered!

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander
The 1987 SM fortunately depicts the wiring of the motor from the motor to the controls.

kentrx1

Seaman
unfortunately not the best wiring diagram. wiring colors not labeled on picture.

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander
They are but they are difficult to decipher. If you buy the manual the wire colour indications will be much easier to see.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Wiring colors are STANDARD. Simply google SAE wiring colors