1985 DT115 no fire

Cmotitan

Cadet
Hello, a little help please. I have looking at a 15 ft performance 1985 bassboat to restore. $400 for boat, motor and trailer. Motor turns over well with good compression on all. This boat has not been ran in awhile. It is not getting any spark at all. Where to start, or even bother. I'm disabled from spinal cord injury and limited on how much I can do at a time. But also broke so new boat and motor out of reach. Anyway, where to start on the motor not firing? Thanks in advance.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
make sure the kill switch lanyard is in place.
then it is measuring the inputs and outputs of the CDI or power backs with the proper test equipment.

A service manual would be very helpful as it will have the specs and test procedures for you motor

Cmotitan

Cadet
Is a 1984 dt115 even worth bothering with? I see a lot of the parts are unavailable.

robert graham

Admiral
That's a pretty darn old rig, even for $400..... Maybe look around more. Seems like with a disability maybe a small pontoon boat could be a viable choice....

ferencg

Cadet
When I had lack of firing (on one cylinder only, on a Force outboard), it turned out to be a stator issue. It was not the easiest thing to take off the fly-wheel on a 30-year-old motor, depending on your physical situation, you may not be able to perform that task.