warning signal on 2006 Yahama 50 2 stroke

jlscjs

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Just started using our pontoon this week, we were out today heading back with about idle speed when all of a sudden the warning signal started beeping. I looked to make sure I had a good stream of water flowing out of the pee hole and it was ok. Put the thing in neutral and shut it off for a second, started back up and it was still alarming, pushed the bypass on throttle and speed it up but it would not gain any rmp's for a few seconds then all of a sudden took off and ran fine. Made it back ok, just don't know why alarm went off, could I have been going to slow and loaded up the fuel or what? First time owning a pontoon and sure would like to know what went wrong. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Pusher

Lieutenant
Could the intake have been plugged before and cleared itself right before you checked the pee hole? Did you feel the outcoming water temp or the cylinder?

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
did you look at the gauges to see what they indicated?
My guess would be time to replace water pump, but I have no idea when it was replaced last

jlscjs

Petty Officer 3rd Class
It doesn't have any guages other than the fuel. As for the intake we brought the motor out and looked at it but didn't see anything hanging onto it.

jlscjs

Petty Officer 3rd Class
went out today in deep water, nothing around the motor and was idling just under 1000 rpm and it set the alarm off, could it be at idle speed it's not getting enough water and if so is this due to water pump wearing out?? Not sure if you can see the stream or not on the pics, should I have one at idle just as good as one at 2000 rpm??

Attachments

• photo282786.jpg
    photo282786.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • photo282787.jpg
    photo282787.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
water pump and thermostat are good ones to check out or replace if you have no idea when they were replaced last

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Overheat at idle is one of two things: 1) water pump impeller worn and needs replacing. 2) Thermostat stuck shut.