Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today

Announcement

Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Please note this topic has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new topic.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

Yamaha 15hp 4 stroke no start, random spark?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha 15hp 4 stroke no start, random spark?

I have a 2013 Yamaha 15hp 4 stroke that has been great. I removed it from my inflatable and left it on it's side for a week. When I reinstalled it it started right up by gave out a puff of funky smelling smoke, this lasted a few seconds then I drove it around. It ran great for about 5 minutes then it died sounding like it was starved of fuel. I guessed it was water in the gas so I pulled the carb, fuel pump, cleaned them and put new gas in it. it fired and died. It was seeping fuel around the fuel pump gasket so I replaced it. It would randomly fire and die so I replaced the spark plugs and had the same result. I then noticed gas coming out where the fuel line plugs onto the motor so I replaced that. The motor started immediately then died.
    When I pull the rope I hear clicking so I messed with the shifter slightly. I could get the clicking to go away and a couple of times the motor started when I barely pulled the rope listening for the clicking, it would die right after. I tried starting fluid and it still seamed to be randomly firing.

Any ideas?

Originally posted by Trawler man View Post
    I have a 2013 Yamaha 15hp 4 stroke that has been great. I removed it from my inflatable and left it on it's side for a week. When I reinstalled it it started right up by gave out a puff of funky smelling smoke, this lasted a few seconds then I drove it around. It ran great for about 5 minutes then it died sounding like it was starved of fuel. I guessed it was water in the gas so I pulled the carb, fuel pump, cleaned them and put new gas in it. it fired and died. It was seeping fuel around the fuel pump gasket so I replaced it. It would randomly fire and die so I replaced the spark plugs and had the same result. I then noticed gas coming out where the fuel line plugs onto the motor so I replaced that. The motor started immediately then died.
    When I pull the rope I hear clicking so I messed with the shifter slightly. I could get the clicking to go away and a couple of times the motor started when I barely pulled the rope listening for the clicking, it would die right after. I tried starting fluid and it still seamed to be randomly firing.

Any ideas?
    What side of the engine was laying down while stored?

Comment

The mounting bracket was up.

Comment

Working...
      X