Too much of a hurry

phelan75bobby

Recruit
I was in a hurry and tried starting my boat before making sure the propeller wasn't in the mud. I tried and tried to start the engine bit it wouldn't kick over because the prop was in the mud. the battery died(i believe),from trying so much. Now even after charging the battery it won't turn over. Every now and then it will click but that's all. What could have happened?

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Unless you were in gear, it should have started. But I'm sure you plugged the motor up with mud by cranking it so much. As far as the battery, it may be shot, have it tested. And clean all connections at the battery, motor and grounds. If any connections got hot, they may need replacement.

phelan75bobby

Recruit
I checked and cleaned the battery. I also tried another battery that was in my Durango. It still only clicked sometimes and wouldn't turn over

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
I checked and cleaned the battery. I also tried another battery that was in my Durango. It still only clicked sometimes and wouldn't turn over

could be the starter relay or the starter itself is bad.
what do you mean it sometimes clicks?

bad connections or burnt contacts can cause just clicking

mike_i

Master Chief Petty Officer
I was going to say the same as 99yam40,regarding the starter hopefully you didn't kill it. Also like Grub54891 said it should have started if you were in neutral even if the prop was stuck in the mud. Are you able to safely connect 12volts directly to the starter just for a second to see if the flywheel turns and acts as though the motor wants to start thus bypassing the starter?

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
cannot bypass the starter to turn a motor

start relay/solenoid maybe