1982 dt40 clicking noise

micali

Cadet
I actually rebuilt the pontoon the motor is attached to and now in the process of putting it back together.

I had to remove the throttle controls because I rebuilt the captains console. I took videos and pictures of how the harness was hooked up but I'm not sure I got them hooked up correctly. I say that because before I took it all apart I could turn the key and the motor would turn over but now all I hear is a clicking by the starter. Is this a battery issue/ connection or is this wiring?
I only have the positive and negative wires that come out of the motor hooked up. I believe the other wires are for the lights and horn. All of that wiring is trash so I didn't bother hooking it back up.
Any help would be appreciated.

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander
Not an expert but I'd say either the connections aren't tight enough or the battery needs a good charge. Can you eliminate the battery as the issue and try a different one?

micali

Cadet
I'm trying to find some new cable ends from the motor to the battery. There are some wires that are broke at the terminal ends.
I took the same battery and put it on my 70 evinrude and it starts like a champ.

micali

Cadet
So the clicking noise is from the solenoid. How do I test the solenoid?
I did run hot a hot wire from the positive terminal on the battery to the positive end on the starter and the started did nothing. I would think if the starter is good it would at least try to engage, correct? Also the battery is charged enough to crank over my 70 evinrude with no problems.

Last edited:

micali

Cadet
Does anyone know how to pull the starter apart? It had water in it and it's probably toast. I just don't have the extra right now to buy a new one. I would like to try and clean it up.