2001 yamaha vmax hpdi 175 - issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flats1

Recruit
I am completely baffled!! have a 2001 yamaha vmax hpdi 175 with approx 200 hrs. I have taken great care of this engine and it has always ran exceptionally well. I have had this issue in the past with bogging down/bucking and was resolved by replacing all filters. Recently, All filters have been changed including low pressure fuel pumps and new gas lines as well. This past week it's been Bogging down when getting up on plane and stalling followed by not starting. My Yamaha Mechanic checked out the diagnostics and all came back perfectly normal. Fuel flow, voltage etc all good. Mechanic before the diagnostic testing was able to start and run engine for 30min no issues in low gear on the trailer. Same day I dunked the boat and it wouldn't start. My Yamaha mechanic is beginning to think it's the ECU, but has some doubts bec they rarely go. From the diagnostics he feels that the voltage and fuel pumps are working fine including the HP fuel pump. Voltage and battery connections all good. Bulb primes just fine. No unusual smoke. It seems like when motor starts to heat up, it will stall and then won't start. When it cools down, it will start up but it's so random it's hard to tell what really is the issue. Maybe there's a faulty wire connection? Just for the record, this time around all of the routine maintenance is not resolving the issue as it should. There is something else going on that's possibly electrical I believe and hoping it just a faulty plug or connection. If anyone has resolved this similar issue, any suggestions are welcome. Thank you!!

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
testing needs to be done when the motor stalls and will not start to see if it is fuel or apark

Status
Not open for further replies.