1997 YAMAHA 40 HP OUTBOARD (LEAN SNEEZE THEN COUGH?) TROUBLESHOOTING STEPS

tcarpe1

Cadet
Any idea of troubleshooting steps I can take to resolve the lean sneeze and/or cough issue I have will idling?

Attachments

• photo260545.jpg
    photo260545.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo260546.jpg
    photo260546.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 0

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Clean the carbs and then adjust the low speed screws (if it has them).

You could just adjust the low speed screws, but if it ran correctly before it normally means the carbs are dirty now.

tcarpe1

Cadet
So I messed around with it this afternoon with it in a barrel. I adjusted the screws and the coughing went away, but I guess I'm a little confused. I thought that the more you screwed the screw in the lower the idle, but I swear I think it was doing the opposite. At one point I had fuel coming out of the middle carb (hole on side up top). So is it screw in for higher idle? I did not put in gear to see what the response was, but I will mess with it more tomorrow. Things are getting better

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
When the carbs are clean you set the pilot screws to the specs in service manual if that does not run well then you need to do a better job of cleaning.

always follow the link and sync procedure after installing the carbs after cleaning on a multi carb motor.

only way for fuel to come out the vent is for the needle and seat is letting to much fuel into the bowl causing it to come out the vent.

as you lean out a 2 stroke it will run faster.
usually it will not run well when picking up load and may harm the motor