1988 Yamaha 9.9 ESG

Bullie

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 9.9 Yamaha that will not engage forward gear. It will shift into neutral and reverse and stay there, working as it should. When I shift into forward there is a ticking sound but no engagement (prop doesn't spin) of the forward gear. If I pull the shift lever with some force to the front the gears will engage momentarily but will release when I let go of the shift lever. I have a bit of tinkering experience with old OMCs but, I admit freely, gear cases are a bit of a mystery to me. I assume the clutch dog and forward gear would need to be replaced? Am I on the right track here? What else should I look for? Is this something a novice can fix?

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
I am not families with old motor, but could be the cable or linkage could be a problem.
even shift shafts sometimes bend or twist if someone tries shifting when motor or prop are not being turned. when the clutch dags do not line up properly and someone tries to force the shift something gives.

is that push and pull type linkage or a turn?

if you cannot find anything on cables and linkages then you probably need to open up the gear case and inspect

Bullie

Petty Officer 1st Class
It is push pull.

I hate to ask a question that may be obvious, but where would the adjustment be? At the powerhead end of the rod or in the leg?

raczekp1

Lieutenant
there is shift rod conector just under lower transom mount. try to spred it out this connector