Found out the hard way.

titaniumneck

Petty Officer 1st Class
Never ever ever do this, I found out too late. Ding dong, a true de de dee moment. Simple job trading out impeller on 1988 75hp Suzuki outboard. Well I screwed the pooch on this one. Yep, I pulled the shifter rod out. And for those who are not familiar with this particular motor, the dog pin pops right out and the bottom of shifter is nice and flatttttt. So pull the gears, prop rod, yep salt water sitting in for ever, are at least 28 years, sleeve stuck like chuck. Well I got it done. 30 minute job, 2 hours, yeaaa me.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
I put one all back together once without the key in the impeller. :facepalm:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Everybody makes mistakes. Some are easier to fix then others. But they all teach us things we really didn't want or need to know. :eek:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I'll admit it - I've never made a mistake. Well, not the same one twice. Usually! :rolleyes:

Hope the Zuki is ready to roll now, TN. It's been giving you fits.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Its not a mistake....its a valuable lesson

titaniumneck

Petty Officer 1st Class
Oh, this is a different Suzuki, I'm still waiting for Russia to send obsolete parts.

bryanzzz

Seaman
Well we are big enough to own up to our mistakes, mine....owned boats for 40 years...while troubleshooting an engine problem, I hook up muffs, turn on water crank engine...troubleshoot....cut off engine..cut off water. troubleshoot for several more cycles...water on, engine on..water off, engine off....then, engine on but forgot water on...1 minute later I notice Yamaha not peeing. Troubleshooting stops, go to dealer buy new impeller, install new impeller....drink beer

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
I saw a guy run a Boss 429 on a dyno and someone forgot to turn on the cooling water water,
ended with aluminum from the heads dripping out of the headers