Solved: Trim motor intermittent cut-out 1994 90TLRS

waterbill

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Tilt/Trim Motor Intermittent Cut Out '94 90TLRS

Tilt process stops mid-tilt, and after a few seconds a faint click can be heard from the motor. It will then run the tilt unit a bit more until the motor cuts out again. I disconnected the two motor leads, green and blue, and ran the motor directly from the battery. Same result. Took motor off the T/T unit and hooked to battery. It runs without a load indefinitely. Took motor apart and brushes look good. Contact points on internal thermal switch had a little arc burn, but nothing major. I cleaned that up. Put motor back on T/T unit, and intermittent cutout problem comes back. I would like to buy a replacement motor to fix this problem, but am not sure if that's a good idea. Could this be a motor problem anyway? Motor was replaced about ten years ago.

waterbill

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My trim motor would cut out after a brief run, in either direction. After a while, it would start working again. I ruled out solenoid malfunction by hooking motor directly to the battery, and the motor would run indefinitely. At this point, I wondered if there might be a mechanical/hydraulic problem overloading an OK motor and causing its thermal overload contacts to open, shutting the motor off until cool down. I checked the brushes, commutators and ohm readings between windings, but found nothing amiss. Taking a gamble, I bought a new trim motor ($160.00 aftermarket). Worked out, that cured the problem! Old motor must be breaking down under load.

mjf55

Chief Petty Officer
Exvellent news. Thanks for posting 'for the record'

jbcurt00

Staff member
Merged the 2 topics Bill, glad you got it sorted out