02 Yamaha Outboard 2-stroke 60hp issue

seanfish22

Recruit
On Monday, ran my boat all day with no issues. Trailered the boat, attached the muffs, and began flushing the engine. About 5 min in, the engine sputtered and died. When I tried to restart the engine- nothing. I went on to clean the rest of the boat, and trimmed the engine up. When I did, i realized the trim pistons were moving pretty slow, making me think it was a battery issue. I just don't understand how it could fire up, get to the dock, and 10 min later be dead? Plus, shouldn't the engine continue to run if its already running- Shouldn't take battery power to keep it going. Has this happened to anyone else and if so, whats the fix??

Thanks in advance.

robert graham

Admiral
Double check your battery state of charge and all electrical connections...last time my tilt/trim acted a bit slow it was an indication that my battery had a weak cell....new battery and everything back to normal. Boat batteries may or may not last as long as a car battery. The battery I just replaced on my boat was only 18 months old, but I've gotten 5 years previously. If battery is suspect maybe a good idea to replace it, assuming everything else checks out O.K...