2008 90hp 4 Stroke Bogging/Dying When First Started

SlowCountry

Recruit
After spending many weeks with my mechanic for a non related repair my engine, which has always run perfectly, now isn't working properly. Sure would appreciate some suggestions on how to diagnose and repair the problem.

The engine starts without any problem but will bog and then die when the throttle is advanced not gear.

I have learned to coax her into running but pushing the side button into neutral and then gradually advancing the throttle giving her time to accept the additional fuel without bogging down. Eventually the engine warms up and I am able to shift into gear and run with gradually diminishing bogging as time goes by. Even so - I do notice a slight hesitation when accelerating through the day. That delay may have always been there and I didn't notice.

My mechanics solution was to pour a full bottle of ring free into the fuel tank and hope for the best. After burning about 30 gallons we haven't seen a difference.

grateful for any suggestions. Shrimp baiting season opens Friday and any delays at the boat ramp won't be appreciated by the crowd of other fisherman.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
I guess this is a fuel injected motor.
have you changed the filters and cleaned VST ?
does the rail pressure stay in spec?
have you had the injectors cleaned?
replaced spark plugs?

SlowCountry

Recruit
Thank you 99yam40 for your suggestions. Certainly a number of areas to explore. Not being a mechanic I'll start with the plugs and filters and seek help from professionals if that fails.

Good boating!