1986 Yamaha 115ETLJ starting issue

jdg021

Recruit
I have been having starting issues with my 1986 Yamaha 115ETLJ. It cranks really well but only starts sometimes. When it starts it runs really well. One day it will start and
The next day it only cranks. I'm at a loss for what could be going on. Does anyone have any thoughts?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard.

What are your starting steps and is this cold or warm starts?

jdg021

Recruit
Thank you

This problem can occur with either cold or warm starts. For a cold start I prime with a few squeezes and choke before cranking. With a warm start the prime and choke is usually not necessary.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Try squeezing the bulb until the bulb gets firm. The float bowl needs to be full of fuel.

Are you advancing the throttle using the warm up button or warm up lever? Not sure which one you have.

jdg021

Recruit
Thank you
I am using the warmup lever and also am squeezing the bulb until it is firm

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
need to try choking while cranking( not before) with the warn up lever adjusted to give a little extra air.
motor needs air and fuel at the right ratio to burn .
too much or too little can be a problem
Needs spark also
Have you checked to make sure cylinders all were sparking when it will not start?

Some other brands of motors injected fuel when hitting the choke, but I do not think your motor does that. choke plates need to be fully closed while cranking the motor over to suck the fuel into the motor.
East enough to check

jdg021

Recruit
Thank you. I will look into both scenarios in a couple of days when I can get back to it. I will post what I find