Yamaha 225 V6 Tilt Pin and Unit won't come off! But looks as simple as 1,2,3.. please help!

fazerpaul

Cadet
Yamaha 225 V6 Tilt Pin and Unit won't come off! But looks as simple as 1,2,3.. please help!

Hello there,

After trying for several hours I was so frustrated I almost freaked out toninght!

I am replacing my trim and tilt unit with a newer one, because the old trim rods are worn out. I recently bought a good and complete unit on eBay and just want to swap the two units. How hard can that be you say?

I was thinking of an easy job, but now I'm totally stuck because the tilt pin won't come loose!

Ofcourse I first took off the circlip at the starboard end and then I started driving the pin out using a hammer and an old bolt. The first few mm the pin moved slowly but then it TOTALLY stopped! I gave it a good centered beating but it feels like it's hitting metal inside? How in the world can this be while there is a nylon bus around the pin!

After many, many powerful impacts still nothing moved a tiny bit at all and I finally gave up the battle for today..

Any help on this annoying problem greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Paul

Attachments

• photo251757.jpg
    photo251757.jpg
    225.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo251758.jpg
    photo251758.jpg
    272.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo251759.jpg
    photo251759.jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Is the motor supported with no weight on the pin?

Drive the pin back in and check for any burrs or mushrooming on the circlip end. Some lube/oil could help.

fazerpaul

Cadet
Yes, the motor was supported by the tilt lock levers on both sides. Also the 6 bolts that hold the unit are out so there is no tension on the tilt rod.
I already drove the pin in an out several times and lubricated with WD40 during the last days.

Thanks for your comment!

Bam7722

Cadet
If you soaked it with penetrating lube, my guess would be pure blunt force trauma. Make sure you removed the clips!

fazerpaul

Cadet
Well, that sounds just right for me, haha! I'm gonna get me a larger hammer and hope the force will be at my side. ;-)

GA_Boater

I wouldn't go too crazy with a bigger BFH. You get get the pin out because the bracket ends up busted.

It looks like the flange had been treated to some pipe wrench work. Did the pin turn and how difficult?

fazerpaul

Cadet
No Title

You are very right about the pipe wrench! Yesterday I tried to turn the pin with a wrench and that was almost impossible..

Today I borrowed a larger hammer from a friend and managed to get pin out without a lot of damage, nice! But my joy didn't last long because it seems to be impossible to take the whole trim unit out off the bracket. I tried almost every spot and angle but no success here.. that sucks!

Does anyone of you experts know how to get the unit out without taking the whole outboard off the bracket?

Thanks again!
Paul

BTW: uploading pics the normal size doesn't work for me today..?

Attachments

• photo251816.jpg
    photo251816.jpg
    1.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

fazerpaul

Cadet
Thank you! I was hoping it could be done without removing a bracket.. is there no other way?

Somewhere on the internet I just read:
Normally on the 3.1L motors remove all 8 bolts,loosen the manual release valve,remove the tilt ram pin,push the tilt ram down and you can work it up and out without removing brackets.

But then again.. I have the 2.6 liter engine I believe.

GA_Boater

Is the cylinder fully retracted?

Worth a try - Hook up the battery and retract the cylinder or find the bleeder to release fluid pressure. A shorter cylinder might make the difference.

fazerpaul

Cadet
Okay, here the result of today's work..

Lakensea was absolute right about removing the starboard side bracket.. there really is no other way to get the trim unit out!

I was lucky a good friend of mine was willing to help me out today. We tried to get the unit out by removing the bracket but found out that the bolts of the hydraulic steering brackets were frozen up badly so taking the engine bracket out was not possible.

My friend Remco decided to unbolt the starboard engine bracket and then turn it away from the transom. This worked out well and we finally were able to take the unit off! But it was very difficult to place the new unit in exact the same way the old one came off because we had to control the position of the unit and the bracket step by step.

Question: why in the world did Yamaha make this construction in such annoying way? I can't figure out any good reason for this..

In the end the good news is my boat now is ready to go back on the lake, great!

So thank you all for your good advise and thank you Remco for your help!

fazerpaul

Cadet
One last thing I like to share with you..

The tilt pin is made of steel but no stainless steel, so after time it will rust ending in this misery.
Maybe it is wise to take the pin off every year and grease it.

Another tip: to get the heavily rusted tilt pin clean I soaked it in 30% hydrochloric acid, it worked like a charm! ;-) After half an hour it was almost like new and good to go. Don't forget to wash it with clean water after the acid bath. BE CAREFUL IF YOU USE THIS ACID!

Happy boating!