No Fire Spark 2006 F225 Yamaha

Master Drago

Cadet
CDI. Capacitor Discharge Ignition. Found a huge amount of none helpful info roaming the net. So where is it on our F225 2006 Yamaha outboard? How do I test it? I will say one thing, those Japanese do know how to build a boat engine!

Found out that at least two plugs coming off different ignition coils have no spark. Did not check the rest. Also discovered that the input of primary side of the coil is a pulsed a/c and may not be able to be measured with a standard digital multimeter like a Fieldpiece SC56. Looks like I can make a gizmo to check the CDI but where is it. So I'm assuming that since no high voltage spark is at two different spark plugs coming from two different coils that something is preventing a primary signal since there is no attempt at the motor firing up during continuous crank.

Looking at some of the diagrams and parts pix, there are things under the flywheel for the ignition system. Taking the flywheel of this beast off looks like no shade tree task with the monster nut on top (maybe 1 7/16" 200 ft lb torque)!

Any help on this would be good.

There is a test connector with the same color wires from the input side of the coils (red/yellow trace)

Attachments

• photo251686.jpg
    photo251686.jpg
    308.4 KB · Views: 0

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
that new of a 4 stroke I would guess it has a ECU not CDI

A service manual for your motor would be the best thing to find

Master Drago

Cadet
In gear! Looks like it is but is not. Just the little things. Last boat loading up the ramp onto trailer did not pull it all the way back to neutral maybe. Joy had just power washed the inside of the boat - water in the lanyard safety switch. After using air to dry it out started right up. There was a console breaker tripped also. Man, I was sure not looking forward to pulling the flywheel on this beast!

This boat electronics can eat your ass.