1998 Yamaha 2-Stroke Starting Issues

Hello All,

OK I am at my wits end here. Here is the boat/motor and the issue:

Boat/Motor
1998 - 19 foot Cobia
1998 - 2-Stroke Yamaha 115HP

Issue:
I've always had a slight "problem" with the motor turning over easily after I haven't been using it (I'm talking about a day or two, not months). It just takes a little longer.

Currently (within the last month) the new issue is that when i turn the ignition key, nothing happens. Then I will wait a second and then try again and then nothing will happen usually for 5 seconds, then the motor tries to start. Same thing over and over as the second part, the more I try the less the pauses seem to be.

USUALLY it will actually eventually turn over and then runs perfect. If I was to turn off the engine, it usually starts back up no problem. Recently that has not been the case though.

What I have done already:
- Cleaned all connections with baking soda and a wire brush
- Charged both batteries (my starting battery and deep cycle) via AutoZone who said the starter battery was very weak but still good
- STILL Bought a new starter battery just to see if that was it (because after I charged the battery i still had the issue) - got the same issue
- Now I'm onto the good old multimeter to find an issue...

I am NOT that handy when it comes to this stuff so please pardon my ignorance if I did something wrong taking the readings... Here is a pic to show what I came up with after going through hours of threads on starting issues....

20160828_125702 (1).jpg

Each arrow represents where I connected the leads from the multimeter to. All the red arrows came back at 12.5. The yellow arrow gave me nothing.... is that supposed to happen?

ANY input would be appreciated since currently I can't get anything to happen. I turn the key (my gauges light up and flicker) and no click from the solenoid and no turning over.

IDEAS?! Thanks so much everyone

Attachments

• 20160828_125702 (1).jpg
    20160828_125702 (1).jpg
    336.6 KB · Views: 0

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
if you can read voltage leaving start relay but not at the starter while turning key switch to start, then you have a bad connection or cable between those spots

gap1949

Cadet
You need to check the voltage at the starter solenoid connections while turning the key to start.

You need to check the voltage at the starter solenoid connections while turning the key to start.
Hello,

Can you explain this a little more?

Which connection do I need to take a reading while starting? Because I am pretty sure (but not positive) that I took all readings while not starting AND while trying to start. I had someone start it while i tested with the multimeter..

Let's say for a second that all those readings were while starting... what does that mean now? Starter is bad?

gap1949

Cadet
If you got no voltage at the yellow line of you picture while trying to start it, the solenoid is bad. If you got voltage there the starter is bad.

mjf55

Chief Petty Officer
StPeteBoater, are you still having problems? I have not seen an update from you in 2 days on either forum.

I am confused as to the voltage readings you shown. As stated in the 'other; forum, the 0 volts ( yellow ) is while trying to start. Please confirm here.

Now, the red (12 volt) reading on the solenoid.
(1) Large terminal on right appears to be the positive battery cable. I would expect to see 12 volts between here and ground all the time, unless there is a battery issue
(2) Small wire on right - this should only be 12 volts when you are trying to start. It is what energizes the solenoid to put 12 volts on the output.
(3) Large connector/wire on the left. Does this go to the starter? This should be 12 volts only when you are trying to start.
The above 3 should be measured to the ground terminal on the starter.

Here is where I get confused. You mentioned 12 volts between the Large terminal on right (1) and large terminal on left (3). Please confirm this is when you are NOT trying to start. It can only be when you are NOT trying to start.

Let us know if you still are and we can continue.

StPeteBoater, are you still having problems? I have not seen an update from you in 2 days on either forum.

I am confused as to the voltage readings you shown. As stated in the 'other; forum, the 0 volts ( yellow ) is while trying to start. Please confirm here.

Now, the red (12 volt) reading on the solenoid.
(1) Large terminal on right appears to be the positive battery cable. I would expect to see 12 volts between here and ground all the time, unless there is a battery issue
(2) Small wire on right - this should only be 12 volts when you are trying to start. It is what energizes the solenoid to put 12 volts on the output.
(3) Large connector/wire on the left. Does this go to the starter? This should be 12 volts only when you are trying to start.
The above 3 should be measured to the ground terminal on the starter.

Here is where I get confused. You mentioned 12 volts between the Large terminal on right (1) and large terminal on left (3). Please confirm this is when you are NOT trying to start. It can only be when you are NOT trying to start.

Let us know if you still are and we can continue.

Hello! Thanks so much for checking up on this. I just broke down and bought a solenoid, it was like $50. I haven't had the chance to install yet because we are getting hit by a little hurricane at the moment haha. I should be able to try it tomorrow or the weekend. I will keep you posted! Thanks

mjf55

Chief Petty Officer
Good to know. Stay safe in the storm. I'll be getting the remnants this weekend.

Good to know. Stay safe in the storm. I'll be getting the remnants this weekend.

So I changed out the solenoid and still had the issue at first... That is, I turned the key and nothing happened for like 10 seconds. Then I turned the key again and a 4-5 second pause and then it tried to turn over... THEN i turned the key again and it tried to start immediately but then got STUCK even after I turned the key off and pulled out the key!!!!

I had to quickly disconnect the starter battery and it stopped... Now it's stuck on starting... this HAS to be a switch issue, correct? Should I go and buy an new ignition switch? It's most likely that, right?

Any help would be appreciated! I am going to post this on the Hull Truth thread too.

Thanks

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
my guess is you welded the relay contacts holding the key to the start position for so long with out it turning the motor if the starter engaged the flywheel but did not move the motor. Possible lots of current flowing trying to make the motor turn

Simple to check to see by disconnection the small wires on relay and then hook battery back up.
if it still turns the motor over with out a signal from key you know it is not the key switch

my guess is you welded the relay contacts holding the key to the start position for so long with out it turning the motor if the starter engaged the flywheel but did not move the motor. Possible lots of current flowing trying to make the motor turn

Simple to check to see by disconnection the small wires on relay and then hook battery back up.
if it still turns the motor over with out a signal from key you know it is not the key switch

Thanks for your input.

I went out there today and it's not "stuck" on starting anymore. Hooked the battery back up and turned the key, nothing, then turned again, pause then tried to start, then again and it was on and off trying to start.

Can you explain how to rule out the switch a little more? What relays are you referring to?

Thanks

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
What you replaced should be the start relay/solenoid.
is it not clicking when you turn the key switch to start position when it is not starting?

mjf55

Chief Petty Officer
What you replaced should be the start relay/solenoid.
is it not clicking when you turn the key switch to start position when it is not starting?

To Add to 99Yam, if it is not clicking, measure the voltage of each small wire on the starter relay with respect to ground WHILE the key is in the start position.
On wire will be 0 volts, the other 12 volt. I would guess, the black wire with the ring terminal is ground. The one with the plug would be 12 volts.

Here are the wires I am talking about
sw941_2.gif

To Add to 99Yam, if it is not clicking, measure the voltage of each small wire on the starter relay with respect to ground WHILE the key is in the start position.
On wire will be 0 volts, the other 12 volt. I would guess, the black wire with the ring terminal is ground. The one with the plug would be 12 volts.

Here are the wires I am talking about

It was the key ignition switch. Thanks for all your help