Yamaha 90 hp 2 stroke shifting issue

rsamsel

Seaman Apprentice
I have an issue with the shifting on my new to me Yamaha 90 horse 2 stroke. I believe it is a 1990.

​The adjustment for the forward/reverse shifting is very finicky. It is a basic push/pull system near as I can tell. The cable pulls forward to put it in forward and pushes back to put it in reverse. After 10-20 shifts on any given day out the motor will not shift into forward/reverse. It will click like it is trying but the cable simply doesn't travel far enough to pop it into gear. Pushing on the shift assembly will get it into gear until you go back to neutral. I have become a master at taking the cotter pin off and spinning the adjustment a turn or two to get both forward and reverse back. Fast forward 10 or 20 shifts and it will be clicking trying to go into gear again. It fails to go into forward half the time and reverse half the time.

My question is this: Am I missing something? Does the dog that makes the connection in the lower unit get wore out causing the adjustment to be impossible? Is there something I can do to ensure a solid thump in and out of gear?

It makes for some interesting situations docking and tight maneuvering when it decides not to shift....and its also SUPER frustrating.

Thank you in advance,
Rob Samsel
Renton, WA

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
If the linkage on the motor is moving like it should when you move the controls, maybe the shift shaft is not moving at the bottom due to shaft twisting at a rusted point.
some of the older motors had a problem with this but do not have a clue if the 90 HP motors were included with the wrong metal in the shaft

rsamsel

Seaman Apprentice
Would there be a fix? Possibly remove the lower unit and lightly sand the shift shaft to clean it up? I really don't know just trying to imagine. When its working it works perfectly it just likes to be EXACLY in the right spot or I'm missing one or the other.