Suzuki DF15 HARD TO START

Tolly Roger

Recruit
Hello all, I have a 20008 DF15 Suzuki 15HP on my dinghy that is hard to start every time and is very "finicky". The throttle has to be in just the right spot and even if it's just been run I often need to use the primer bulb and pull the manual knob. I know that is not a choke but an "accelerator"
It's always been hard starting. I converted it to remote controls as well as added the electric start kit and the problem just followed along.It seems to be a fuel issue but not sure. Maybe there is a better carb?? Wondering if there is a known cure or possible area I should look at. Thanks for your help.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Well Tolly Roger, :welcome: aboard...

I have to say up front I have no idea about your engine. However, if you've been having problems for a while, and it sounds like you have, and you as well think it is a fuel problem, then do some checks. Is the fuel enriching/choke system working correctly? A cold engine will be near impossible to get running if the choke system isn't working properly. See if your fuel pump is working properly. Remove the fuel line from the carb and see if it is supplying a good stream of fuel. If that checks okay, maybe time to rebuild the carb. If the engine isn't getting a good supply of fuel, it will be really hard to get it running. So it may be time to clean the entire fuel delivery system and that does include tank, fuel line, primer bulb, fuel pump and the carb. You didn't say if the engine runs good after it starts. :noidea:

Tolly Roger

Recruit
Thanks for the reply. Yes it runs fine after it starts. It is just REALLY hard to start at first. It seems that the choke mechanism is working but i am not totally clear on what it actually does. On mine it is a knob you pull out. It is a cable connected to the carb to some kind of port. I am going to take it apart and see if it looks clean and is working. I think on newer motors they use an electro magnetic version. Wonder if that can be retrofitted? BTW the fuel system is clean. New filter new fuel, even new tank this year. Before i converted it to remote controls it was hard to start. Seem the throttle has to be in just the right spot.Anyone know of a good tech rep or a National Service for Suzuki that could help???

SWBoater

Recruit
It could be that the pilot screw isn't set properly or there is gunk in the low idle circuits. My 1989 15hp Suzuki two stroke engine likes to idle on the lean side, doesn't matter if it starts cold or warm.

Finding a parts diagram online I see the DF15 uses one carb which means it'll be easy to diagnose. Set the pilot screw to the recommended turns out from soft stop and go from there while the engine is warmed up. I did that to my engine and it just sits there purring on idle rather than sounding like it sputters on idle.