help with spring in water pump housing and lower unit gears

duffg130

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi,

​ I have a 1993 Yamaha 85hp (C85TLRR). I ordered a water pump kit with the impeller. As I was changing it I noticed that it came with a gasket for the lower housing unit (the metal one, if that's what its called). I took a lot of prying and pulling to get the housing off. When I took it off I noticed it had a small spring in between the rubber washers. The spring didn't appear to be attached to anything and fell out as I tilted the housing. I'm assuming the spring is a broken piece and is supposed to go the circumference of the washers? I didn't want to have to replace the housing because its another $60.00 but I'm guessing I will have to now. I'll try to post pictures. The other issue I'm having is I took the lower unit off while it was in neutral. I notice that when I turn the shift rod clockwise the propeller rotates counter clockwise and vice versa. How do I get the unit in Neutral? Thanks in advance for the help.

Attachments

• photo249610.jpg
    photo249610.jpg
    262.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo249611.jpg
    photo249611.jpg
    264.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo249612.jpg
    photo249612.jpg
    346.2 KB · Views: 0

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Is the spring round like the seal if it is replace the seal. Most seals have a spring around them to keep tension when they fall off you can have them leak. Otherwise put up a pic of the spring.

duffg130

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Is the spring round like the seal if it is replace the seal. Most seals have a spring around them to keep tension when they fall off you can have them leak. Otherwise put up a pic of the spring.

yes it's that spring. thank you. one of the pieces of the spring is in the first pic. I'm holding it with my thumb and index finger. any thoughts on getting the outboard into neutral?

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
I don't remember what shifter you have. If it shifts by pushing or pulling up and down then turn the prop and push or pull to **** it. If you have the rotary shifter put a rag on it ant turn it with a vice grips. You need to find out which seal it came out of.

duffg130

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I don't remember what shifter you have. If it shifts by pushing or pulling up and down then turn the prop and push or pull to **** it. If you have the rotary shifter put a rag on it ant turn it with a vice grips. You need to find out which seal it came out of.[/QUOTE

​Ok, so I need to put a rag on the small rod? the long one is the drive shaft right? how would it have popped out of neutral from the time I took it off (yesterday) and today?

Last edited:

duffg130

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I don't remember what shifter you have. If it shifts by pushing or pulling up and down then turn the prop and push or pull to **** it. If you have the rotary shifter put a rag on it ant turn it with a vice grips. You need to find out which seal it came out of.

​I tried turning it clockwise and it moves but then when I turn the shaft the propeller still moves. Any thoughts??

Last edited:

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
The large shaft in the middle is the drive shaft. Put up a pic of the shift shaft

duffg130

Petty Officer 3rd Class
No Title

The large shaft in the middle is the drive shaft. Put up a pic of the shift shaft

Here is the pic. I put a rag on it and turned it clockwise. I can hear it click into gear and it seems to be in neutral but if I turn the prop the drive shaft will begin to turn ever so slightly. If I turn the shift shaft again it will click into gear. Once in gear, if I turn the prop one way the drive shaft turns the other way but I get no resistance in either direction. I would assume if it were in forward I wouldn't be able to rotate the prop counter clockwise.

You mentioned in an earlier reply that I need to figure out which oil seal that spring came from. I think it came from the one in the water pump housing in the picture. I think there is only one in there. When I finally got it out I saw there was another complete spring inside of the rubber washers. Are there more that one spring in those?​ Thanks for all your help.

Attachments

• photo249677.jpg
    photo249677.jpg
    280.3 KB · Views: 0

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
The spring may have been left in from the old seal when it was replaced. That is a rotary shifter be careful of the splines. If you can hold the drive shaft and turn the propeller without the driveshaft moving you are in neutral. When the waterpump is in it will hold the driveshaft in place.

duffg130

Petty Officer 3rd Class
The spring may have been left in from the old seal when it was replaced. That is a rotary shifter be careful of the splines. If you can hold the drive shaft and turn the propeller without the driveshaft moving you are in neutral. When the waterpump is in it will hold the driveshaft in place.

Great. Thank you. I will try it and keep you posted.

duffg130

Petty Officer 3rd Class
No Title

Ok, I'm in neutral. Thanks again. I think I'm going to order a new housing, this one looks a little rough. Also, there are 2 small pins on this housing but the new one doesn't look like they are included. I assume I can just pop them out?

Attachments

• photo249760.jpg
    photo249760.jpg
    344.1 KB · Views: 0

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
I can't really see them compare it to the new housing to the old. If they are locating pins for the housing they usually stay in the lower unit.