88 Yamaha 200 ETXG; New impeller wont slide down shaft

chrismarion

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Twin 1988 Yamaha 200 ETXG

I got my parts order in from the iboats store to include two water pump with housing kits. As i am installing the new impeller on a marine greased shaft, the impeller will not go past the bottom of the splines.

Comparing old to new, inside diameter is the same. Old impeller does not have a brass/bronze sleeve. Just moulded rubber(? ). Odd, but it does. I don't want to force the new impeller past this point if its wrong. Part #s are correct on unopened package from box with correct part#. No video have i seen with this an issue. They all show a impeller slide right down.

Suggestions? I would like to finish boat today, and not leave them dismantled. I forgot to add the sleeve appears to have a very very slight taper at the top, which is the reason it wont slide past the point where the splines fade into the shaft.

Housing Kit # 18-3311
Impeller bag # 18-3300

Last edited:

chrismarion

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

I couldn't add pictures via cell phone. Here are the pictures I can provide to explain. There are no shops open today, to include iboats customer service, for assistance.

Attachments

• photo249418.jpg
    photo249418.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo249419.jpg
    photo249419.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo249420.jpg
    photo249420.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo249421.jpg
    photo249421.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 0

mjf55

Chief Petty Officer
Subscribing as i will be doing my 1989 175 soon.
Chrismarion, I have a set of parts, but not with me. I will check that my impeller looks like by Wednesday and let you know, unless you already solved this issue.

chrismarion

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Update; after calling iboats they recommended i call Sierra technical support because she was unable to provide technical issues with thisvpart. After calling Seastar solutions technical support i confirmed that was a waste of time. Only advice they could give me was to purchase OEM impellers because they have never had anyone mention this issue. No technical questions for me, nothing. Just a quick, i suggest you buy OEM.

Im pretty shocked of the response and no attempts to figure anything out. He didnt even ask if i ordered the wrong item or confirm part #s.

mjf55

Chief Petty Officer
Chrismarion, have a conversation with iboats. Perhaps they can make you whole. Is the impeller the only part that is wrong?

chrismarion

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I cant say the part is wrong, because there isn't a single thread after searching with this issue. I have twin outboards and neither shaft will allow the impellers. Clearly, the part numbers say they are correct and the company says "buy OEM".

chrismarion

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just got off the phone with iboats and Evan in customer service was awesome! After explaining to him the entire situation, I also told him to view this thread for the pictures and the iboats team are fixing the problem. They too were blown away the response given by Sierra, "I suggest you go buy OEM". So iBoats is sending me two Yamaha OEM impellers to go with this housing kit at no charge. If for some reason the impeller doesn't fit the house, I can call back for a full refund.

This is customer service! Thank you Evan and iboats!

mjf55

Chief Petty Officer
Excellent news. I love it when folks stand by their products.

mjf55

Chief Petty Officer
Chris, just got my OEM impeller and it looks like your old one ( except in new condition;-) ), no bronze ring.

chrismarion

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The OEM impellers arrived and I got a chance to install one this evening before the rain. Fits like a glove with the Sierra housing kits. Not sure what I will do with the bronze sleeved ones. Just hang on to them I guess. Tomorrow I will finish them both up and water barrel test them.