Oil Pump bleed

2botes

Cadet
I have an '87 70ETLH 2-strokeYamaha that I just rebuilt & need to bleed the oil pump....how does one do this exactly? I have a manual for it, but it doesn't divulge the procedure. Any help is appreciated. Tks

mjf55

Chief Petty Officer
I know this is a little old, and you may already have found the answer. However, from what I read, the system will purge itself. Run on a test fuel tank with 50 to 1 mix in that tank to protect the engine while oil system if purging / bleeding air.. I think about an hour will do it if all is working correctly.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
I thought the service manual said to turn a bleed screw, but have no idea on a motor that old.

Is it a Yamaha service manual you have or from some other place?

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
They do not bleed themselves there is a bleed screw on the pump that needs to be loosend until oil comes out. Then tighten it back up and disconnect the throttle rod to the oil pump and wire the pump to the wide open position. Fire it up on pre-mix and let it run for 15 minutes and it will fill the injection lines. Reconnect the throttle rod and after that I will run amsoil 100-1 premix on 1 tank until I know the pump is working. Make a mark on the tank and watch the oil level.

Last edited: