Yamaha 2002 150 HP 2-stroke life expectancy

Gyrene

Petty Officer 1st Class
Looking at a 2002 150 HP Yamaha 2-stroke w/488 hours - I think that means it has lots of life left - but got me to wondering what expected max hours would be? Thoughts? Other than plugs, what would repair items be? It has oil and fuel injection.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Looking at a 2002 150 HP Yamaha 2-stroke w/488 hours - I think that means it has lots of life left - but got me to wondering what expected max hours would be? Thoughts? Other than plugs, what would repair items be? It has oil and fuel injection.

anything on any motor can fail and need repair or replacement
that is a 14 year old motor

mostly depends on how well it was cared for during those 14 years
hours do not normally kill a motor , lack of maintenance does

Last edited:

Gyrene

Petty Officer 1st Class
anything on any motor can fail and need repair or replacement
that is a 14 year old motor

mostly depends on how well it was cared for during those 14 years
hours do not normally kill a motor , lack of maintenance does

What maintenance is there on a 2-stroke?

robert graham

Admiral
You may need to get a shop manual for your motor and read some....at the very least get an owner's/operators booklet that gives a good brief on preventive maintenance....clean it, grease it, change the oil in the lower unit, etc. A BIG key to a 2 stroke longevity and dependability is good, clean, fresh gas. Invest in a fuel/ water separated type filter....Walmart carries an Attwood unit for $25...just mount on your transom.....Learn it and take care of it and it'll run for years...

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
owners manual will have a chart showing what Yamaha recommends and how often on their motors

Gyrene

Petty Officer 1st Class
owners manual will have a chart showing what Yamaha recommends and how often on their motors
It's a 2002, as in the thread title - can you get old owner's manuals?

robert graham

Admiral
Actually if you read and study the owners/operators booklet it'll give you most of what you need to know to keep the motor running....just basic preventive maintenance.....