VP 280 Outdrive Fork Fitting

OlyO

Cadet
Good morning to all,
In the process of replacing my U-joints in my upper gear case I damaged the female end fitting (10 spline) and am looking for a replacement part. I believe the fitting is pretty universal for many years of 280 ODs and I'm hopeful that someone may have one they are willing to part with, so I don't have to purchase the entire U-joint drive assembly. I'm not aware of any used VP part business in the area but if there is such a place please et me know.
My boat has an AQ190A / 280 OD setup. I can also remove the part from the universal drive assembly if required.
10 spline female fork fitting.jpg

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
That part's available new. $550-600!!!!!!
Just ridiculous how much Volvo wants for a $50 part.
Where are you located?
Good luck.

OlyO

Cadet
Jerry,
I live in Marysville, WA. Yes the Volvo P/N for replacing this is 3860231 (10 spline) and that P/N represents the entire u-joint drive assembly for the $500-600 price that is shown. Wouldn't have known this by just looking at the Volvo schematic and associated parts price listings, but I spent time on the phone talking to them. Originally the individual yokes that make up the assembly were available to buy. No more....only the entire assembly is available now. The 10 spline yokes were used for most 280 ODs up through the 80s, I believe, so I'm hopeful that someone may have an old OD hanging around that it could be salvaged from.

Oly