Volvo Penta 5.7 GXI Wont rev up under load

ihateboats32

Cadet
I have a 1999 Chris Craft with 2 Volvo Penta 5.7 GXI engines. Everything was working fine. All of a sudden it started to give out black smoke and under load the boat will not rev up. I put new plugs, distributor cap and rotor. Changed filters. With the new plugs I start the engines once and then check and the plugs are black. The exact same symptoms are on both engines. That is the crazy part. Does anyone have any ideas on what the problem is??? Thank You

alldodge

Staff member
I have a 1999 Chris Craft with 2 Volvo Penta 5.7 GXI engines. Everything was working fine. All of a sudden it started to give out black smoke and under load the boat will not rev up. I put new plugs, distributor cap and rotor. Changed filters. With the new plugs I start the engines once and then check and the plugs are black. The exact same symptoms are on both engines. That is the crazy part. Does anyone have any ideas on what the problem is??? Thank You

:welcome: to iboats

For it to happen to both engines at the same time I would first thing you got some bad gas

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...
2X what AllDodge said.
How much diesel got pumped into your tank?

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
2X what AllDodge said.
How much diesel got pumped into your tank?

......................:eek:......:faint2:..............;)

Generally it happens the other way around aka diesel truck get gas at the local pump or you boat gets 30 gals in the rod holder or some orfice that resemble's a gas tank.

Last edited:

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Welcome back,
As it has happened to both engines, the assumption is that your fuel has been contaminated. The smoke leads us to suspect you may have had some diesel added to your tank.