Uneven riser temperature VP 5.0 carbed

BarryTurano

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Had the risers changed in January. Found out yesterday (you don't want to know how, all I can say is OUCH) that the stbd riser is much hotter than the port. Manifolds seem about the same. Port riser is warm. stbd riser is hot. Temp gauge is reading 140. I guess the gauge is reading the port side. My new mechanic says it is possible the gasket is installed wrong or it's the wrong gasket. Nothing would surprise me because the mechanic I was using would make a very good meat cutter. It will be coming off within the week. I am just trying to get any other opinions. Anyone have an issue like this? I have read that one side of the motor will run hotter than the other. BTW the circulation pump, t stat housing and t stat were also replaced. Thank you.
Barry

Bondo

Staff member
Anyone have an issue like this? I have read that one side of the motor will run hotter than the other.

Ayuh,.... It's normal for the 2 sides to be 2 different temps,.....

BarryTurano

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I read that different temps are normal. But should there be that big of a difference?

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade
There is no temp gauge for the risers. They have alarm switches when they reach a certain temperature, but that's it. The temp gauge is measuring water temp at the thermostat. The only way to check riser temps is using an IR temp gun.

My starboard riser is always warm, port is always much hotter. Doesn't cause a problem...that's what the alarm is installed there for.