Drive lowers while cruising

38Sunseeker

Recruit
I have a 92 Sunseeker with twin 454's and Volvo Dual props. While cruising the drive drops all the way down. I can trim them back up but then they slowly drop back down. The trim cylinders were replace on one drive two years ago because they leaked. I had no problem with that side ever dropping till last year and it drops much slower than the drive with the original cylinders. This year both pumps were replaced and that didn't work. What else could it be?

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Dropping drives are almost always contributed to fluid levels. How are the levels? Any leaks you can find? Is there ever an oily film in the water?

Bondo

Staff member
This year both pumps were replaced and that didn't work. What else could it be?

Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,..... That's pretty much the Whole system, the pumps, 'n the rams, both have seals, pumps have vales,....

That 'n the lines in between,....

mandmj

Seaman
I don't know if this will help, but I had a DP-SM that would slowly leak down as well, but no fluid leaks. There were 2 possible culprits. The first was the wrong fluid, so I flushed w/ the correct GM spec transmission fluid (Castrol synthetic blend IIRC). I sucked out the reservoir w/ the trim down, refilled w/ good fluid, and cycled full up/down x2, then sucked it out and refilled it again. Did this 3 or 4 times. The other thing that helped was cleaning the seals/valves in the pumps. See this link from Don S.

http://forums.iboats.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=106449&d=1312641139
Its from the tech sticky, VP info, trim leaks down item.
HTH.