Gunked up carb, belt dust and rusty pulleys!

further

Lieutenant Junior Grade
So I recently posted about my 4 barrel Holley that I found all gunked up apparently as a result of dust coming off of the belts - ordered rebuild kit from Holley. Belts were all replaced at layup last fall as was raw water pump. After the first two outings I checked the belts and they were all loose so I re-tightened all and in the process cranked down on the top mount of the alternator and snapped a piece of the housing off from wrenching on it too hard. Patched it with some JB weld so can't tighten it anymore unless i replace the alternator which I plan on doing soon.

So about 8 hours or so of operation later, the belts are loose again and there's dust all of the engine bay and significant dust coming off each of the belts when I rub my fingers on the underside. After reading a bunch of posts on here mostly from Don s., I've attributed whats happening to rusty pulley's, so i will be addressing that before I rebuild the carb. Figured probably a good idea to address the root of the issue first ;)

Questions:
1. First, I plan on replacing the alternator. Current is a Prestolite, but the model #/Serial # is worn. Can someone point me to the proper replacement alternator? There are a few on Ebay that are advertised as replacements and are about $80 - seems cheap. Are these any good?

2. I plan on cleaning off as much of the rust as possible with sandpaper and a wire brush. What is the recommended paint? Primer? I've used rust converter stuff from CRC with decent results - would this work or is there something better?

Thanks in advance to all...

further

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Regarding the alternator, I just ordered a DB Electrical AMN0011 which appears to be the proper replacement for my motor. Read some posts on here about them and reviews on Amazon and nothing but good things. For the price, can't go wrong. With overnight shipping its still a good 40% less expensive than the price I got from the local marine parts store....

further

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Thanks for the tips dypcdiver. I'll look into the hammerite.

Maclin

Admiral
Not sure how the gunk got into the carb unless no flame arrestor. When this happened to me the flame arrestor was nearly totally plugged, had to attack it with chemicals to melt the rubber belt material. Carb itself was ok even if a little grungy on the outside from the belt dust. Got the pulleys all sanded and painted and no more problems. Be sure the alternator belt is the proper width, sometimes replacements are used that are too wide and do not fit inside that small pulley and can't make the turn, and slip and become a major provider of the belt dust.

further

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Flame arrestor was completely gummed up and some got through and was all over the choke plates. Here's a pic

Don't think it did too much harm to the important components cause I had the boat out this past weekend and it ran fine. Figured since I haven't touch the carb yet and it's one of the only things left on this motor that I haven't attended to that I should just rebuild it once I have the belt issue solved.
Maclin, what paint did you use?

Maclin

Admiral
I just used Rustolem Primer and Gloss enamel for metal. Sanded, wire wheeled for a couple of days, rinsed with laquer thinner then let it dry for a couple of hours. Then primered and let sit for a couple of days, then painted and let it all sit for a couple of weeks as my boat was down anyway for a bit. This was in July here in Texas so it was a lot like a baked enamel finish :flame:

further

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Damn lol, I don't have that kinda time. Started sanding but the rust is stubborn and there's 20 years of it. Picked up a small can of rustoleum enamel. Think I'm gonna pick up a wire wheel for my dremell and see how that works out. Assuming I don't have to get it perfect just enough to smooth it out, clean and prime prior to painting with the enamel.
Thanks for the info

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I would try to get it perfectly smooth. I wouldn't think it would be that hard if you could get a flap disk in there.

further

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Bruce, I tried a flap disk yesterday but it seems too aggressive. Maybe I'll try with a finer grit, I was using 100. Don't want to damage the pulleys. I'm gonna go with a wire wheel attachment for my cordless and see if I can get at it that way. Small area to work in as well. I picked up some POR 15 to use as a primer along with their degreaser and metal prep. Looks like this stuff should work to eliminate the rust.

further

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Before I go ahead and ruin anything can anyone give any input on using POR 15 on the pulleys? I've sanded off most of the loose rust and ready to prime and paint. I plan on top coating with Rustoleum enamel and also picked up one of those POR 15 starter kits with the de-greaser and metal prep along with the POR 15 coating to use as the primer. Its a urethane coating so want to make sure its OK to use on the pulleys and won't be too thick and affect the belts or pulleys in any way. Any input on this please before I apply?
Thanks