Audible Alarm question.

magarmuch

Cadet
Do Volvo Penta have an Audible Alarm? My engine is a 1999 Volvo Penta 5.0Gi mated to a SX-M. This boat is new to me and every thing is running fine, just that I don't hear any Audible alarm at startup like I did no my Seadoo boat. Thanks for you advise.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
Looking at your motor look to the left side and on the very end of the block there should be a black tea cupped shaped alarm. Check the power leads for power...lol that's novel is it not. Ahh found a old post i blew one those thing up once,,,,never really did figure out just how that happened.
Picture003-5.jpg
Picture001-5.jpg

Picture002-5.jpg

Last edited:

magarmuch

Cadet
I could not find the alarm speaker any ware on the engine. My boat is a 1999, did Volvo Penta have audible alarm in that year model? Can some one send me a picture where the speaker should be located? Thanks.

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade
On my 5.0 Gi pwtr 1999 it is located up behind the dashboard (part of the instrument loom) and only sounds on overheat. I don't think it is wired to sound on no oil pressure, I think that came with the later models. I think the ECU takes the feed from the oil pressure switch and deals with it. However I've never had a no oil pressure situation so not too sure.:confused: certainly does not sound at startup.

alldodge

Staff member
As a non-VP guy I'll say this. Merc was using MEFI3's in 1999 and all of the alarms went through the computer. So none of them where wired direct to the horn. Once the engine was running if any of the alarm sensors/switches set a fault the horn would sound. Before the engine was started you can turn the key to run and all you would hear is the fuel pump turn on. It could sit that way for a long time an no alarm would be heard

Last edited: