Sx-m outdrive separating lower and upper unit

kccoe

Seaman
Does someone have video or procedures of separating lower unit from upper unit transmission for a Sx-m 1.60 year 2003? Do you have to turn the unit upside down like the old cobra units or can you remove lower unit with whole drive on its side on a bench ? Or even separate the lower from upper while hanging on the boat?

kccoe

Seaman
I got the info I needed. I have a appalachian engineer outdrive jack and stand. Gently clamp lower unit down on jack and remove the 6 bolts and lift off upper transmission unit. Easy enough.

kccoe

Seaman
No Title

Seal on the raw water pickup tube is toast. Impellar pump sucking air while on plane.

Attachments

• photo225101.jpg
    photo225101.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 13
  • photo225102.jpg
    photo225102.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 12

kccoe

Seaman
No Title

larger pics and notice the broken raw water inlet tube that connects the outdrive to the upper raw water hose thru the gimbal housing

Attachments

• photo225104.JPG
    photo225104.JPG
    137.4 KB · Views: 13
  • photo225106.JPG
    photo225106.JPG
    94.9 KB · Views: 11

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Good find!

Not many reasons to seperate the 2 halves but that is one of them.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Well one other reason is you never do it and then one day have to fix those seals it may be very difficult to get apart. Especially in salt water. For boats slipped in the water you can get marine growth in the water intake area and the only way to get it all out is to take it apart.
I use OMC gasket sealer on all the bolts and OMC triple guard grease on the large o-rings.
If you search in the OMC section I have a method for splitting stuck uppers and lowers using an outdrive jack , some all thread, a pair of 1/2 bolts and nuts and 3 scissors jacks ....

kccoe

Seaman
This unit has only a hundred hours on the outdrive and engine, Always in dry storage but was use in salt water in Tampa Bay area. Always flush after each outing, but I wish I had took pictures of the salt penetration, deposits or residue that was on the outdrive bolts, threads , and seals . The salt covered the whole threads all the way to the end of bolt. There was salt deposits in places that look water tight. I cleaned and dissolve all salt deposits with vinegar and water. Then cover all bolts and threads with grease before reassemble. The salt really ate away at the raw water inlet tube seals. The raw water inlet nipple was crack also.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
My mechanic advised splitting the upper and lower at least every 3 years for boats used in salt water.
I found that salt deposits under one of the o rings was what made it hard to take apart.
The way I have posted (which will work on any outdrive) uses the strongest parts of the upper drive housing(trim ram rod area and front mounting holes) so you can gradually apply force without breaking anything.
This is also seen on outboards too. If you let the impeller replacement go too long it can be a bear to get the lower unit off. They often get seized up on the driveshaft .

dmock02

Recruit
KCCOE, Just curious, did you finally decide to separate the upper and lower unit? What advise/information were you given? I have to make the same decision (possibly replacing the Spined Sleeve on Volvo Penta SX-M 1.79). Was is worth purchasing the "appalachian engineer outdrive jack and stand"?