Can I just purchase a new starter solenoid?

StingrayMike

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 2007 5.0 gxi. While attempting to track down a ground, the post that the pwr cable from the battery attaches to broke off of the solenoid.
the starter works, I could not find anything on the web, but can I just get a new solenoid?

tthanks

Thalasso

Commander
es. it's nothing other then a car starter for the most part. My advice is to take it to a alt/starter repair shop and have it done if your asking this question. this way they can check out the starter

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
If you have good access just remove the starter and replace the solenoid. The marine units use a rubber gasket between the solenoid and the starter housing. Always disconnect the neg batt cable first before working on the starter.
I have a spare 12v battery in the garage, jumper cables and a remote starter switch that I use to test starters before reinstalling them.

StingrayMike

Petty Officer 1st Class
already got the starter out, pretty easy with the batteries out of the way.
i guess I could taks it to a shop, rather not pay labor for something I can do myself.
I was wondering if any place online sells just the ssolenoid. Guess I need to take it to
a shop and see what would be cheaper, buying a new one, or getting the solenoid replaced at a shop

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Just do a google search for "marine starter solenoids". You will find many to choose from.