Carb rebuild? Dirty choke plate

further

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Hey guys, so over the past two outings i noticed some bogging conditions where I'd give it full throttle but wasn't able to plane and get over 2500 rpms. I'd bring it back to neutral, try again and it would take off and be fine. I've done pretty much everything except for getting into the fuel system and as such haven't had the carb rebuilt. It idles perfect and cruises fine almost always except for the few times I mentioned above. Also I've noticed that at WOT , the rpm's will gradually increase slower than I would think they should get to optimum WPT rpm. So I decided to take off the flame arrester to get the number off the carb so I know what I'm dealing with and found a lot of dirt on the choke plate. My belts were a bit loose last week and probably caused some of this dirt but do you think these issues are carb related and I should rebuild? Not sure when it was last rebuilt and prior to me acquiring it was salt water and not very well maintained.

Inside looks pretty clean?

Also this is a 4 barrel Holley but I can't find any model #'s on it. Anyone have any idea base on these numbers?

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade
What is the last number in the top line of the stamping? Looks like a 4?

If it were my carb, I'd rebuild it - its pretty simple. You can either locate your kit based on the engine serial number or model from the Volvo penta store (see link) or call Holley and provide them the stamping numbers you found and they can tell you which rebuild kit you need. It might be a bit tricky as the VP Store lists the kit as being obsolete- however I can tell you that most of the holley rebuild kits are all the same....
When I did mine I used a old fishing lure tray to keep all the bits and pieces organized....

Last edited:

further

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Hey thanks for the reply and info Augoose. Last number is a 4. Carbs sketch me out a bit. My first and last attempt at rebuilding a carb was on a force 85 hp. Went well on the rebuild but could never get it to run right after and the whole lync and sync deal on those triple setups was tough, ended up taking it to a mechanic and having it replaced cause he couldn't figure out what I did to it either lol. What do you think of those online rebuild services. I priced one out for $260 and they send a rebuilt one tested and warranted for a year? Flyingfishcarburetors.com

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I haven't dealt with those services in the marine world but I have in the jeep world and I was ripped off.....
They seem daunting but the holleys are very easy. It took me about an hour and I went slow and labeled everything and i have pretty much the same carb. The other option would be to buy a kit then pull the carb yourself and take it to a old shade tree car mechanic and have him rebuild it for you. You could always try it yourself ( you will find it pretty easy) and if you get too far over your head (you wont) you could then send it out to the online guys....Nothing to lose really