60 amp breaker trip on Volvo Penta 5.7 GI

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeblas

Cadet
I'm experiencing a problem that's tremendously similar to that of scott76310's in his older thread, very tough circuit breaker question on Volvo 5.7GS.

I have a 1994 Cobalt 255 that has a fuel-injected 5.7GI Volvo Penta.

The exhaust riser carries three breakers. Occasionally, the 60 amp breaker will pop when we turn off the engine. This has been happening more frequently lately, but certainly doesn't happen every time we stop the engine.

Unfortunately, I struggle against a barely competent shop. Until I find better help, I'll need to at least make an attempt at diagnosing the problem myself.

The alternator was new last season. The shop that replaced it completely botched the job, leaving me with a bad over-voltage situation: that's the first time that the 60 amp breaker ever popped. It took with it my tachometer and trim gague.

They replaced the alternator and the boat ran fine for the balance of last season. I replaced the tachometer and it works. I replaced the trim gauge and it is still inoperative; the shop said the sender is fine, but I haven't tested it. The boat also has a "black box" between the sender, the trim control, and the gauge. I have that part, but haven't replaced it yet.

With the new alternator, we noticed better charging than ever before: the voltmeter on the helm indicates 13.5 to 14.0 volts whenever it should be charging. But this season, the 60 amp breaker started popping at key-off. The tachometer has also failed again.

In scott76310's thread, he says that he believes he fixed the problem by moving the sense wire on the alternator, but it's not completely clear to me what he did. He also doesn't report back to confirm that the problem was completely solved for him.

What's a likely cause of this problem? How can I best diagnose it?

Last edited by a moderator:

mikeblas

Cadet
Turns out I have a 5.7 GI, not a GS. Unfortunately, I'm not allowed to edit my post or the title of the thread. :embarassed:

Thalasso

Commander
First place i would look would be is the ignition if it happens when you turn the key. You might have a loose or bare wire that pops it beings it's sporadic and only when turning off

mikeblas

Cadet
Do you mean the ignition switch, Thalasso? If so, that's fine -- everything under the helm is tight and right.

Thalasso

Commander
Do you mean the ignition switch, Thalasso? If so, that's fine -- everything under the helm is tight and right.

Yes the ign. switch. Something hot is going to ground there when you turn the key. I think if it was farther down the line it would blow when you energized the line

Outsider

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Find a shop that sells and services Volvo Penta. If they don't know, they know where to go. Probably ... ;)

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I wonder if the in-line diode might be causing this, although to answer myself, it is intermittent. Perhaps replace the switch, I don't think they are too expensive and if you do it yourself you will save more than the cost of the switch in labour costs.
Going back to the Alternator and Diodes Look at the main wiring diagram and note the orange wire that attaches to the alternator.
Let us know how you get on.

Attachments

• Alt%20wiring.jpg
    Alt%20wiring.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 12
  • Volvo%20fuel%20pump%20wiring.jpg
    Volvo%20fuel%20pump%20wiring.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 10
  • Volvo Wireing Dia.jpg
    Volvo Wireing Dia.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 17

Dave387

Recruit
I am having similar issue. I have noticed that the 60 amp breaker will intermittently trip after I turn the key to the offi position. I replace the ignition switch about two months ago. I checked the connections after reading this forum and they seem tight; however, I did notice my fuse for the horn was blown. Any ideas to fix this would be greatly appreciated!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I am having similar issue. I have noticed that the 60 amp breaker will intermittently trip after I turn the key to the offi position. I replace the ignition switch about two months ago. I checked the connections after reading this forum and they seem tight; however, I did notice my fuse for the horn was blown. Any ideas to fix this would be greatly appreciated!

Please start a thread of your own. This one has over 3 years of inactivity. Thanks.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.