Fuel Injection problem

Mike Simjack

Cadet
2002 5.7 GI-BF Im having issue with the engine flooding occasional. I can start engine 5 to 10 times in a 4 to 5 day period and fires right away. Then when I most need it to start it acts like the motor is flooded motor just turns over and won't fire. I take out plugs and they are wet. I clean and put back in and it starts but runs like crap till the excess fuel is cleared. My question is what controls the injectors to close when the engine is turned off. My assumption is they are not closing causing excess fuel to enter engine causing the flooding issue. I have removed injectors and cleaned. Did find one injector with a missing plastic seat. I replaced it. Thank you for any help
Mike

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,....... Welcome Aboard,..... I believe they're spring closed, 'n electrically opened,....

Mike Simjack

Cadet
Wow that raises my curiosity now. How would a fuel injected engine flood when the engine is turned off? leaking injectors I would guess. Any help out there?

gbeltran

Petty Officer 1st Class
It would be easy enough to check, just look down the TBI unit when you shut the engine down. Maybe you have one that needs to be replaced.

Mike Simjack

Cadet
Sorry don't Know what a TBI is? Throttle body injector??
Different issue today had the boat fishing today I was trolling around 1500 to 2000 rpms. After trolling most of the day the engine started dieseling really bad, gave it throttle and no change. Shut it down and would not restart. Any ideas.

Fun Times

Staff member
Hi there, yes TBI would be throttle body injected which you don't have looking at your parts catalog...You have MPI/EFI (multi port injection (8 injectors).
http://www.volvopentastore.com/Fuel-...view_id.786083
http://www.volvopentastore.com/Marin...view_id.765183

You'll need to get yourself a fuel pressure gauge and check the fuel pressure and see how quickly it drops after engine or ignition key shut down.

If the plugs are that wet and now you have dieseling, then there's a high chance the injectors are leaking or the fuel PSI is to high and could be intermittently causing problems possibly due to a clogged regulator problem.

You mentioned you cleaned the fuel injectors? How did you do it? Did you pull each injector out of the fuel rail or?? If you find the injectors are leaking, then you'll want to have them tested and cleaned by a service company. They'll evaluate them and let you know if they're repairable or not. There are lot's of companies online and possibly local to you that could test and clean them. Just search online for fuel injected cleaning.

Let us know what you find, good luck.:)

Last edited:

gbeltran

Petty Officer 1st Class
My bad, I thought the Gi engines were still throttle body in that year. My idea wont work. Fuel pressure gauge as Fun Times recommended is the best bet.

Mike Simjack

Cadet
I don't have all the tools to fix it so I took it to the shop to let them figure out. I wanted to figure out on my own but it seems like I was just throwing $$$ at it without the right diagnostic tools. Thank you for the imput.
Mike