Friend is buying a Volvo Penta 5.0 GXI - what to look for

Blueghost924

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi, I'm a Mercruiser guy and have rebuilt and overhauled a lot of Mercruiser items on my boat, but a friend of mine is buying a 24' boat tomorrow powered by a Volvo Penta 5.0 GXI powerplant. He wants me to swing by and take a look at it before buying it to see if anything stands out as needing repairing or replaced....or just a general feel if the boat/motor/sterndrive have been well maintained.

I have ideas in mind based on my experiences with my Mercruiser powerplant. however, any advice as to particular things or typical problematic areas to be aware of on these motors/sterndrives? I believe it's a 2005.

Thanks!

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
Fuel cells were painted on the inside and the paint degrades of course you know where that goes, and the seawater pump has a bearing on the back that will freeze up destroying the back seal and it's a leking sieve from there. Other than that things are good...what year

Blueghost924

Petty Officer 1st Class
I believe it is a 2007 - I initially thought 2005. In doing some more reading on the internet, there seems to be a big debate in the Volvo community about the tendency of these engines injecting water? There was also a Volvo Service Bulletin that talks about removing the flappers because they don't have a significant impact on preventing water back flow, and the flappers can clog the exhaust if they break free. I know with my Mercruiser 470, I've replaced the flapper recently.

One area of concern I would have is the condition and frequency the exhaust riser has been replaced. And for the same reason on the Mercruisers. This boat has been, and will be, used on the ocean (we live near Virginia Beach on the east coast),

Not sure if the gimbal bearing maintenance and replacement of the sterndrive impeller would be the same concern as with the Mercruisers.

Thalasso

Commander
I believe it is a 2007 - I initially thought 2005. In doing some more reading on the internet, there seems to be a big debate in the Volvo community about the tendency of these engines injecting water? There was also a Volvo Service Bulletin that talks about removing the flappers because they don't have a significant impact on preventing water back flow, and the flappers can clog the exhaust if they break free. I know with my Mercruiser 470, I've replaced the flapper recently.

One area of concern I would have is the condition and frequency the exhaust riser has been replaced. And for the same reason on the Mercruisers. This boat has been, and will be, used on the ocean (we live near Virginia Beach on the east coast),

Not sure if the gimbal bearing maintenance and replacement of the sterndrive impeller would be the same concern as with the Mercruisers.

Volvo hasn't had flappers since 1999 i think. So that is a non issue.
Water injestion isn't a problem because the risers are mounted high.So thats a non issue
Used in salt now that can be problematic with a 8 year old engine if the riser haven't been changed.
Remove and do regular maintanance every year like a merc (grease shaft check brg ) . There is no grease fitting on the shaft like a Merc which is accesable from the inside. Volvo uses a non grease able brg.
The RWC impeller is mounted like a Merc. Stbd side of engine. You must be used to the old Alphas.

If it's a 24ft 2007 i highly doubt it has the plastic covered drive. (XDP) More likely it has a SX drive The XDP was used on the 8.1 engines
You sure it's not a 4.3 instead of a 5.0?

Last edited: