AQ130c, raw water filter.

DC_Adventure

Cadet
Can someone confirm that there is supposed to be a filter for the raw water cooling system? 1 diagram I saw shows what appears to be a filter tucked into the inlet side of the water pump. I do not have one there. Am I missing an insert or is there some other location where the water is filtered prior to getting to the oil cooler?

Thanks,
Hans

DC_Adventure

Cadet
On a semi related note, does anyone know why replacement thermostats are so expensive ($80)?

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
I'd like to see the picture of this setup. Most have a seawater strainer way before the pump.

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander
No Title

Picture is below. The actual strainer is a piece of plastic and it tends to warp. The design is prone to leaks, and that means loss of suction. No reason you couldn't rig up something yourself. As far as price of the thermostats, the engine hasn't been produced since 1977 and the thermostat most likely doesn't have an automotive equivalent. It's a question of supply and demand. Do NOT try to run the engine without a thermostat. Without one, water flow will bypass the engine cooling passages.

Attachments

• photo47137.jpg
    photo47137.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 1

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Hmmm. So the strainer/screen is the red unit above the dipstick? If so I've never seen that type before. On that note, if the seawater pump is on good shape,I don't see why you couldn't bypass it, and add a common strainer.
As stated above, the thermostat is needed an any motor, operating temp is important, and to be assured the water gets to where its needed. Yeah they are pricy, but obsolete so if someone has them, they want $$.

Last edited:

captmello

Captain
The strainer is the round, flat housing toward the front of the motor. It is most likely only there to keep the oil cooler from clogging.

DC_Adventure

Cadet
OK, so this conversation is shedding some light. This is a diagram of what it should look like.

2012-06-04_002439_aq130_cooling_syst.jpg

DC_Adventure

Cadet
So I am missing parts 12B and 12C and everything from 50 - 66. My current setup, on both engines looks like these photos. They have no filter, not even an inline filter. And yes, the oil cooler does get clogged and quickly. SH105774.JPG SH105775.JPG SH105776.JPG

DC_Adventure

Cadet
So, thoughts? Any ideas on adding some inline water filter? Again, right now there is nothing so, at one level, I can do whatever I want as long as something is done. One concern is flow rates ... Thanks, Hans

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander
There are quite a few strainers listed in the iboats store. Some at very reasonable prices. Since the OEM strainer is a screen type and is pretty restrictive, would think that most any strainer would work.

Dang - that thermostat definitely looks like something from a bygone era :D! Did a quick google search and didn't see anything cheaper than right here at the iboats store. Might try searching yourself using both the Sierra and Volvo part numbers and see what you can find. In the end, you may just have to bite the bullet and pay up.