2008 Volvo Penta 3.0 GLP-J Backfiring though Carb

pdoggs32

Cadet
i have a 2008 Volvo penta 3.0L that is backfiring through the carb, and will stall if given any gas to reach plane. ill have to work the throttle to get it to get up on plane. once it is on plane, you can hear the carb backfiring and coughing while on throttle. the engine will fire right up and idle just fine, but when throttle is pushed it starts backfiring and getting ready to stall. the engine has 62hrs on it. I bought it used and am about to start trouble shooting it but I would like to know where to start. thank you for reading

pdoggs32

Cadet
il check those when I get home, I know that it would be something simple with as little hours that Is on the motor.

pdoggs32

Cadet
Changed the plugs, they didn't look too bad. Looked in the distributer cap and there was no corrosion on the leads. Still have the same drops off when you push on the throttle.

pdoggs32

Cadet
I don't think the timing is off seeing it still has the factory paint on it and has never been moved.

pdoggs32

Cadet
Changed out the fuel pump filter. Helped a little bit but is still dyeing when throttle is pushed lightly though not jammed all they way down.

pdoggs32

Cadet
Going to drain the gas out of it and put fresh premium gas in this weekend. Hopefully that's it and will be done

pdoggs32

Cadet
Good to go, runs great now. There was about two inches of water in the gas. Pumped it all out put fresh premium in and some fuel injection cleaner. Runs great now.

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Great, but you really need to find out where and how the water got in!

pdoggs32

Cadet
Pretty sure it was from sitting I bought the boat as a repo from the bank. It's has 63 hours on the engine. So it has Been sitting for quit some time with gas in it. Just did a carb rebuild on it also cleaned everything up in it. We just had rain so I'll check the tank again to see if anything got in there.