2008 VP 5.0 GL surging at idle, runs rich

Andy_M

Recruit
My 5.0 GL surges at idle, runs rich and is only turning 4100 at WOT (should be 4800+ ?). Runs great otherwise. Any suggestions are appreciated! :)

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade
What is your engine starting procedure, both warm and cold? Also, how can you tell it is running rich?

Has this boat always been 700rpm lower than the suggested WOT since you bought it? Have you tried other props?

Bondo

Staff member
My 5.0 GL surges at idle, runs rich and is only turning 4100 at WOT (should be 4800+ ?). Runs great otherwise. Any suggestions are appreciated! :)

Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,..... Start with the easy steps,.....

Pull the fuel filter, 'n inspect it's contents for water, 'n crud,....

Put on a new filter, 'n try it,....

Andy_M

Recruit
Thanks, Bondo, will start there :)
Skydive: cold start I pump the throttle a couple times, fires right up then I run at about 1000 RPM for a few till it will hold idle on its own; warm, just crank it, usually starts without any extra throttle......Last year I was getting 4700-4800 at close to 50 MPH (boat speedo, accuracy questionable), just doesn't seem to have the same top end. I say it runs rich cuz you can really smell the fuel in the exhaust, smells like an old 70's Ford pickup......Thanks!

Volphin

Lieutenant
Just for jollies I'd pull the plugs and read them, after you check the filter.

Dave-R

Chief Petty Officer
Kind of sounds like maybe the choke could be sticking closed, or needs adjusting. Easy to check. Dave-R

Andy_M

Recruit
Update: Replaced plugs, wires, cap, rotor & fuel filter, runs great now, back to 50 mph at 4900 WOT, idle is fine. Did find a bad plug wire in the process of changing the cap, may have been the whole issue, but the tune up was needed anyway. thanks for the input!