Engine Identification

Senior B

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello, I've just purchased a new to me boat. It's a 2000 Four Winns Vista 248 that had a complete engine and outdrive repower in 2011. The motor is now a Volvo 5.7GXI with fresh water cooling and a DPS-A outdrive. I've been looking all over the motor to get the model number (GXI-JF) and so on but can't seem to find the ID plate. I did fine a sticker with a bar code on the port side of the oil pan. The numbers on it were 40869143 and a serial number of 137170 and a MFG date of 2010. Can anyone tell me what model I have from these numbers? Am wanting to get the right parts like filters and impellers ect. This motor doesn' have the typical spin on oil filter, looks more like an element of some sort. Thank you..

Fun Times

Staff member

Can you post a photo or two of the engine?

Was GXI-JF an example or a number you found somewhere on the engine?

The only marine engine manufacture (that I know of) that put the info you found on the oil pan is Indmar marine and from what I quickly found on the internet is the serial number indmar marine uses seems close to your number. Your six digit number of 137170 is close to a serial number range I found in Indmar's website for a 2012 engine model.

engines within the serial number range from 170158 to 172350
http://www.indmardealersupport.com/service.php

If so you'll want to try sending them an email.http://www.indmar.com/company/contact.aspx

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
The big question for the engine is if the new engine came with an all new fuel system or did it just have the 2000 gear transferred.

Senior B

Petty Officer 1st Class
The new engine and outdrive were complete replacements. This motor is all red and looks like it's right out of the crate. It has the top cover 5.7 GXI but I can't find any decals or ID plates in the usual locations. The boat runs like a top and I'm very impressed how quick and light it is on it's feet with a full load. The previous owner worked for Volvo Penta Corporate here locally so I feel pretty confident that it's what the dealer "Claimed it is"