2005 Volvo Penta 5.7Gi-E Alam wiring.

What Boat?

Cadet
Hello,
Can anyone confirm for me the correct colour of the wire(s) connected to the alarm?
Thanks.

Fun Times

Staff member
Are you asking about the engine sensor side? If so this thread might help some as the colors have changed over the years. http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...-engines-outdrives/574024-warning-horn-wiring

The horn itself should have red and black wires like seen below as long as you don't have this design, http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Volvo-Penta-Alarm-Panel-Kit-873609-Warning-Lights-/180636559192
Or any of theses, http://www.bing.com/images/search?q...2D23552B3011CA3C298944C6CB9&selectedIndex=0#a

37257-1-lg.jpg

What Boat?

Cadet
Hello Fun Times, thank you for directing me to the 'Warning horn wiring' tread, the information was very helpful. As described, the alarm red wire should connect to a tan/black wire. Unfortunately, the one on my boat connects to a yellow/blue.
I suspect that this wire has been replaced in the past because I've located the corresponding tan/black at the ECU connector plug.
Today, I will attempt to establish continuity between the ECU connector terminal (tan/black) and the alarm end of the yellow/blue wire up at the helm.

What Boat?

Cadet
Sorry, I made a slight error in my reply above. It should read, ".....the alarm BLACK wire should coone t to a tan/black wire". Not RED.

alldodge

Staff member
Here is a wiring diagram I found on THT and the only Yel/Blue wire goes to the Coolant Temp *CT) sensor (right side about middle). While this is not for your exact engine the color codes should be the same.
Volvo Penta wiring diagram.jpg

What Boat?

Cadet
The alarm/buzzer was installed and tested OK when check manually. However, there was no continuity between the alarm/buzzer terminal back the ECM (connector J-1, pin #8).

For those of you who are familiar with the Volvo Penta 5.7Gi-E wiring harness (very similar to the one above), I tracked the fault to the main engine control connector (10 pin M/F fully sealed plug). The Tan/Black wire leaving the ECU (connector J-1, pin #8) had become detached from the female #4 pin at the main engine control connector (10 pin M/F fully sealed plug).

I re-established this circuit with a bypass around the #4 M/F pin.

Thanks everyone, your assistance (pics and diagram) were a great help.

vaqua55

Cadet
This diagram is very helpful as it might revolt why I am getting an audible alarm from my starboard engine when I cruise above 3200 RPM! I suspect it was my oil pressure switch and I replaced it but it still continues. Next I will have to check continuity and see if there is any wire damage/connections issues creating such alarm. Any other ideas? My engine is 2003 5.7 GXI Volvo Penta, thanks for your assistance

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
This diagram is very helpful as it might revolt why I am getting an audible alarm from my starboard engine when I cruise above 3200 RPM! I suspect it was my oil pressure switch and I replaced it but it still continues. Next I will have to check continuity and see if there is any wire damage/connections issues creating such alarm. Any other ideas? My engine is 2003 5.7 GXI Volvo Penta, thanks for your assistance

Once again - Start your own thread.