exhaust flapper on lower unit exhaust outlet. Do you need it?

zabortnick

Seaman Apprentice
volvo penta AQ131D with a 275 outdrive. missing dam rubber flapper on the exhaust outlet. I know there are internal flappers that keep water out, so whats with the rubber flapper? can you make one? do you know where I can get a replacement? I have looked at the diagram and it doesnt list the rubber part seperatly but its replacable. could use some info on this please.
Thank you very much.

Maclin

Admiral
I think there are no internal flappers, so that one is it, I would work on getting it fixed/replaced. keep searching, might try eBay, many times you can see the parts for sale there and get an idea on what all is involved. Have you tried the iboats.com site yet?

alldodge

Staff member
volvo penta AQ131D with a 275 outdrive. missing dam rubber flapper on the exhaust outlet. I know there are internal flappers that keep water out, so whats with the rubber flapper? can you make one? do you know where I can get a replacement? I have looked at the diagram and it doesnt list the rubber part seperatly but its replacable. could use some info on this please.
Thank you very much.

Have a look here
http://www.hardin-marine.com/c-1333-replacement-flappers.aspx

zabortnick

Seaman Apprentice
Ok, none of those flappers listed on your link are what I need. Also from looking at the diagram I dont see a internal flapper in AQ131D.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
They make an exhaust bellows with the flappers inside the bellows.
They can be installed in place of the cone flap.
But I think they are a couple hundred $$$.

Be creative; get a small used radial tire.
Cut the new flapper out of the side wall.
Then a few stainless rivets and it's done.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
hit up your local grain store or farm store for a piece of grain belting

midcarolina

Chief Petty Officer
Do a search on ebay for " 3 inch exhaust flapper " there is an old thread here where someone installed one in place of the oem flapper

zabortnick

Seaman Apprentice
Hey, thanks for the Great Tips Fellas. I just replaced the exhaust bellows or I would do as sean did on his exhaust. Good to know for the future.

Thanks again Fellas, You keep the boaters on the Waters