Starter issues or maybe not??

vanhornj76

Recruit
I have a 2006 Sting Ray with a Volvo Penta 3.0.... First let me say I am very amateur when it comes to boat mechanics 101. I just like to be hands on and learn. At the end of the season last year I had to tap the starter to get the motor to start. So I figured, I would need to replace the starter this year. So I pulled the boat out of the garage and went to de winterize and test run it in the driveway before putting it in the water this season. I connected the battery, muffs, checked all fluids, etc.. The battery seems to have plenty of charge. When I went to turn the key. I got a little click from the engine compartment and knowing the starter was an issue last season I tapped on the starter and had no luck. So after reading some forums I realized it could be more things than the starter. All connections are good and no corrosion. So someone told me to jump the start and see if it engaged. Well i tested it and the starter spins but does not engage the flywheel. Does this mean the starter is bad or something else? I have already ordered the starter and I assume the attached solenoid which comes at one unit. Can someone please let me know if there is something else I need to try before going thru the process of replacing the starter and solenoid package. I would like to note that after trying to jumping the starter and then turning the key again, the starter did engage and attempt to start the boat but it sounded like a grinding/clanking noise and not your normal starter noise. Any advise would greatly be appreciated.

Thalasso

Commander
Re: Starter issues or maybe not??

What you have is a bad Bendix that's not engaging the flywheel. Now comes mechanics 101. Take the starter off and have it rebuilt by someone who knows how to do it. Preferably a generator shop.

vanhornj76

Recruit

Thanks.. However I have already ordered a new starter before reading the forums. So I guess I will just replace instead of rebuild. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking something else other than the starter. Thank you so much and I will let you know how it goes once it has come in and I have put it on.

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Usually when this happens it is just requiring a clean and lubrication of the bendix. As you have already ordered a new one then I suggest you take the old one apart and service it. It will be obvious if the teeth on the bendix have been damaged due to it not engaging fully. Lube the bearings and check the carbon brushes, perhaps a gentle cleaning of the commutator with some fine emery, connect a battery to it and if it works, you have a spare, now you have bought a new one you will know how valuable it is!!

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Picture 004.jpgPicture 002.jpgPicture 001.jpgPicture 006.jpg
Get the old rebuilt.
A friend did all my rebuilds.
He had a machine to load test the starter.
He also tested the armature for shorts.
You can rebuild/ clean it and have a good starter.
You get someone to do it. Your guaranteed a good starter.
The pics aren't your starter but this was a working starter when it was on the motor.
To test the solenoids all you need is a 12V test light.
And real long arms :)

MikDee

Banned

I hope it's a sealed marine starter, otherwise it might go BOOM!