Pulling my DP-SM drive for the first time.

BILLDON

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1999 VP 5.0 Gi PEFS. Drive is 2000 DP-SM (1.95) on a 1989 Bayliner Ciera 2550. Prior owner had all maintenance done here in town. I had them pull the drive 2 yrs. ago and check things out. I want to learn to do it myself. I have ordered the VP Manual (7743008), which seems to be the right manual. Question I have is how do folks support the drive while pulling? Don't own a forklift, etc. I had an idea that I would just run a 4X4 wood beam off the back deck over the drive and support the other end with a step ladder, wood blocks to made sure all is level. Then put a ?" eye bolt in the place where the fluid dipstick comes out and take the weight off with a come-along. Not sure if this would work because the drive might weigh too much to slide things along the 4X4. I saw that someone had constructed a small stand out of 2X4's to support the drive from below. Just wondering how most people do this. Any thoughts/ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Pulling my DP-SM drive for the first time.

I place a pad beneath the skeg and then lift my SX-M drive with my hands. Its not too bad - about 80 lbs or so I'd guess. After its out I lift it and lay it sideways on top of a 50 gal rubberized garbage can. The can provides a good working height and the rubber doesn't mar the outdrive paint. Its not a professional setup by any means but it works and it didn't cost me anything. Plenty strong to support the outdrive as well.
I know your DP-SM outdrive is larger and heavier, but it can't be that much heavier where you'd need a 4x4 post.

There are several carrier designs involving 2x4's that you can create yourself and then put a couple of castor wheels underneath to make it portable.

FYI - Although the manual calls for its use, use caution when supporting any of the weight of the outdrive from the lifting eye where the dipstick is - I've stripped those threads out and had to replace the upper gearcase cover - replacing that cover involves shims, measuring, etc.....

Last edited:

further

Lieutenant Junior Grade

There is a sticky in the how to's at the top of this forum with ideas on stands. I used a furniture dolly and framed up. This way I raise and lower the bow of the boat to slide the stand under the outdrive and just pull it off on the stand.

BILLDON

Seaman Apprentice

FYI - Although the manual calls for its use, use caution when supporting any of the weight of the outdrive from the lifting eye where the dipstick is - I've stripped those threads out and had to replace the upper gearcase cover - replacing that cover involves shims, measuring, etc.....[/QUOTE]

Wow! Thanks for the info, I never would have guessed that would happen, but I can easily see that's a lot of weight to put on those threads. Maybe the 2x4 setup is best after all. Not that hard to frame up and I could also put 4 dolly type wheels underneath to move it around once it is off.

BILLDON

Seaman Apprentice

Nice. Thanks Further. Those furniture dolly's are made to order.

BILLDON

Seaman Apprentice

Augoose, I looked it up, and the DP-SM weighs 150 lb. A bit too heavy for me to lift, but all the more reason to not rely on those dipstick threads. Thanks again.

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Augoose, I looked it up, and the DP-SM weighs 150 lb. A bit too heavy for me to lift, but all the more reason to not rely on those dipstick threads. Thanks again.

Like I said, my manual, and presumably yours as well calls for the hoist eye to be used. However, I just wanted folks to be aware as careful in doing so. IMO, if I can support the weight of the outdrive without the hoist eye, I would.

Last edited:

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

Cobra 5.jpgDrive jack from Stumpy's Fabworks.jpgcobra 2.jpg

I built a wood stand with casters some years back and then I wanted something better so I bought this one from Stumpy's Fab Works, nice piece of work for the price....really makes it easier....

BILLDON

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Lou, That looks like something I would like. Easy to use year after year.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I made mine:

IMG_0729.JPG

BILLDON

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Lou, I just ordered one from Kurt.