Volvo SX-M shift cable problem (BruceB58 please RE- thanks!)

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Volvo SX-M shift cable problem (BruceB58 please RE- thanks!)

Edit:
different subject- created new thread

Last edited:

kredlin

Recruit
Hi all, I have a 1998 Four Winns 190 Horizon, with a Volvo Penta 4.3 GL & SX Cobra. The shifting works when I go forward but when I put in neutral it stays running and when I put in reverse it accelerates forward.

I took the shifter cover off the outdrive and viewed the shifting. It doesn't appear to be moving that much and I can't believe it needs adjusting. I took the cotter pin and washer off and moved the cable in and out with a pair of pliers but it doesn't move very easily. Is it supposed to move kind of hard? When I shift forward to reverse its not moving much either. It appears the cable is bad but I am not certain. I checked for kinks but there are none.

I looked underneath with the control cable comes into the shifter and I can see the control cable moving when shifting but the whole cable moves. Isn't it supposed to hold it in a sleeve and only the cable in the sleeve move?

I am also able to move the shifting mechanism on the outdrive as it should work so I don't believe thats an issue.

I'm just trying to understand how it works. What else do I need to troubleshoot?