Volvo Penta 5.7 gi fuel pump relay

JustJason

Vice Admiral
Re: Volvo Penta 5.7 gi fuel pump relay

What scan tool are you using?

Have you checked to makes sure your battery cables are not loose or corroded? Both battery side and engine side.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Install a jumper wire between 30 and 87 at the fuel pump relay.
Do the fuel pumps run?

OP, have you done this yet?

Last edited:

bladd48

Cadet

OP, have you done this yet?

Yes, two new batteries and connections are clean and tight. Ran the boat today and logged a good scan... Slow ram up and at 3500 rpm it felt like a misfire situation and rpm would bounce between 3200 and 3500 for a few seconds and the. The engine shut down... Had a m81 code and an engine warning shutdown code. Once again had to tap on the ecu to get the fuel pumps to start up. Ran the boat at around 1000 rpm back to the dock and was getting a beep 2 second beep again audible alarm.

Really appreciate your help and advise... I did send a log of my scan to bob at OBD diagnostics and waiting on him to take a look as well.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

So you bypassed the fuel pump relay?

Fun Times

Staff member

Hum, sounds like you may have either have a bad wiring connection somewhere or a bad ECM.

Have you pulled and rechecked the J1 and J2 ECM connectors to see if you have a wire pin that is starting to back out of the ECM connectors?

bladd48

Cadet

Hum, sounds like you may have either have a bad wiring connection somewhere or a bad ECM.

Have you pulled and rechecked the J1 and J2 ECM connectors to see if you have a wire pin that is starting to back out of the ECM connectors?

Ok... Sent my scan to OBD diagnostics and they said my engine is running hot... Peaked at 93 c on the scan for water temp. Would this shut the engine down? Put a new water circulator in, could the thermostat be bad? All pins on the ecu look fine.

Fun Times

Staff member

Ok... Sent my scan to OBD diagnostics and they said my engine is running hot... Peaked at 93 c on the scan for water temp. Would this shut the engine down? Put a new water circulator in, could the thermostat be bad? All pins on the ecu look fine.
Technically no the engine should not be turning off when the engine temp gets to 93 degrees Celsius or 199 degrees Fahrenheit. It should however go into slow mode which will drop the RPM down to 2500 rpm max. This has a distinct feel when it happens. See page 2-8 S.L.O.W for a better explanation. Boatinfo - Volvo Penta WT series Engine EFI System Service Manual Side Note: On some engine models I have noticed in the past that even though the engine is not supposed to shut off in slow mode, the engine has slowly died at idle speed while the engine is hot....But it should not turn off like tuning the ignition key off.

Here is a list of trouble codes with possible causes
Boatinfo - Volvo Penta WT series Engine EFI System Service Manual

So do you recall any signs of the engine running 199 degrees? You should have heard a warning horn as well.

Because your getting so many codes, it typically has something to do such as power loss, bad ECM or (this is a long shot) a toggling ignition control module under the distributor cap or maybe spark plug wires are touching/resting on some of the ECM wires someplace causing interference, Maybe the one way diode between the ignition control module and the ignition coil (center of the pink wire) has gone bad or missing causing RF interference/noise. Though a bad diode normally will not let the engine start people have been known to remove the diode altogether. Those are just some guesses to consider looking at.

Since your seeing code 51, read page 2-4 Boatinfo - Volvo Penta WT series Engine EFI System Service Manual

bladd48

Cadet

Technically no the engine should not be turning off when the engine temp gets to 93 degrees Celsius or 199 degrees Fahrenheit. It should however go into slow mode which will drop the RPM down to 2500 rpm max. This has a distinct feel when it happens. See page 2-8 S.L.O.W for a better explanation. Boatinfo - Volvo Penta WT series Engine EFI System Service Manual Side Note: On some engine models I have noticed in the past that even though the engine is not supposed to shut off in slow mode, the engine has slowly died at idle speed while the engine is hot....But it should not turn off like tuning the ignition key off.

Here is a list of trouble codes with possible causes
Boatinfo - Volvo Penta WT series Engine EFI System Service Manual

So do you recall any signs of the engine running 199 degrees? You should have heard a warning horn as well.

Because your getting so many codes, it typically has something to do such as power loss, bad ECM or (this is a long shot) a toggling ignition control module under the distributor cap or maybe spark plug wires are touching/resting on some of the ECM wires someplace causing interference, Maybe the one way diode between the ignition control module and the ignition coil (center of the pink wire) has gone bad or missing causing RF interference/noise. Though a bad diode normally will not let the engine start people have been known to remove the diode altogether. Those are just some guesses to consider looking at.

Since your seeing code 51, read page 2-4 Boatinfo - Volvo Penta WT series Engine EFI System Service Manual

I do get an occasional alarm... The alarm is a beep one second pause beep. Usually I can slow down and the beep will stop. I did get feedback from once that my original scan where I had a lot of codes was more than likely a bad scan. I did order a new thermostat and plan to put it in on Thursday. Might not fix my original problem but hopefully it will fix the engine temp problem. I have thrown in the towel and have a Volvo mechanic scheduled to come down next weekend. Will let you know what he finds and plan to send him the link to this thread for his reference.

All help has been greatly appreciated.

Fun Times

Staff member

So you bypassed the fuel pump relay?
You may have overlooked Bruceb58's question earlier. Did you happen to try running the engine over 3000 rpm with the relay jumped as well?

Bear in mind that highlighted below mentions an overheat may shut down the engine.
MEFI-4 Inputs
CS - Crank Sensor (a.k.a. Crank Trigger) ? crank angle (i.e. where each cylinder is in its 4-stroke cycle) & RPM.
CTS ? Coolant Temperature Sensor - engine temperature.
O2 - Oxygen Sensors ? air/fuel ratio via exhaust O2 content.
IAT ? Inlet Air Temperature Sensor ? temp of air entering intake manifold (and therefore the air's density).
TPS ? Throttle Position Sensor - throttle blade position (opening).
IAC ? Idle Air Control Valve - the IAC supplies metered air at idle, its sensor reports the solenoid plunger position.
MAP ? Manifold Air Pressure Sensor - intake manifold pressure (vacuum) and therefore engine load and altitude.
CPS ? Camshaft Position Sensor - rotational position of camshaft and therefore valve/stroke timing.
KS ? Knock Sensor - engine knock or ping, used to retard timing and prevent pre-ignition.

All of these sensors play a vital role in engine operation and are used by the MEFI-4 ECM to sense a variety of operating conditions.

The outputs from the MEFI-4 ECM are:
MEFI-4 Outputs:
EST Signal (Electronic Spark Timing) - to fire the coils / spark plugs.
Injector Driver - to fire fuel injectors.
IAC Stepper Motor Control - Maintains perfect idle speed with the IAC stepper motor.
Fuel Pump Relay - Intelligent control of the fuel pump based on fuel pressure and engine status e.g. shut down fuel pump and therefore engine on overtemp, low oil pressure, engine overspeed, etc.Check Engine Lamp - ECM turns on warning lamp when it detects a problem condition. It also stores a "diagnostic trouble code" or DTC which can be read by a scanner.
Tachometer Signal - to drive the tachometer.

Fun Times said:
Looking through the service manual you will not typically find a code 81 listed to be able too start a typical diagnostic procedure. But code 81 does exist and there is a list of codes but the problem is they are not published. They only show up on the scan tool when some sort of problem arises
Hey I just ran across the MEFI 4/4B code 81's,
http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/MEFI/images/MEFI-4 Trouble Codes.jpg

For future reference there's lot of good info on the MEFI 4/4B ECM's including a very helpful PCM diagnostic manual in the link below,
Pirate4x4.Com - The largest off roading and 4x4 website in the world.

Good luck.:)

JustJason

Vice Admiral

Which tool did you use to get a scan of the ECM? If you used diacom and have a save file i'll take a look at it.

TLubas

Cadet
How was this issue resolved? We are experiencing the same problems and losing our minds trying to figure it out. Any helpful ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Hughes179

Cadet
I know I’m late to the party in this thread and boats have probably been sold by now or worse. Just curious if this issue was ever fixed. I have been dealing with exact same problem on my 2006 Four Winn’s 5.7 gxi. Changed low
pressure pump, ignition coil, distributor cap and rotor, fuel relays! Today I ran engine up to 3k rpm while in lake and in neuteral just to see if I could repeat the shut down I get when under load. Eventually it again shut off. But unlike all the other times I never was able to get power restored to fuel pumps. I’m about to lose my mind. If y’all ever determined the main cause of this I would appreciate the feedback of what it was. Thanks