beep BEFORE turning engine on

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaLord

Seaman Apprentice
My 5.7 gl-a with an sx-m 2002 has only 120 hours on it and it was recently service with the outdrive after the boat was shipped to me. Since then I run it may be 10 hours.
The starter, after a couple of hour of engine switching on and off (5 or 6 times), failed but the solenoid was clicking all the times ok.
Water was found where the drive pinion come out on the starter driveshaft and still wondering why it failed after a couple of hours usage, i replace it with a new starter.
When I started the engine I was impressed on how the new starter pushed the rpm up to 3000 (then rpm went immediately down). No other remarkable difference with the previous behaviour during the couple of second the engine was on.
Before putting the boat in the water again I took the chance to connect some new devices (GPS, radio, light of the compass, bilge pump) to the fuse box and found sounder gauge was broken so I disconnected it.

A couple of days later I turned on the key before the position that starts the engine. With the engine NOT running the engine alarm went on and RPM gauge went also up a bit. Since I know this should not be, fearing some false contacts or shorts, I disassembled new connections done. Still, turning on the key to pre-ignition triggered the alarm.

I then decided to turn the motor on. The alarm shut off in a couple of second but
  1. a dark smoke came out from the propeller to vanish a couple of second after
  2. RPM gauge indicated 3000 (I was not revving) to come down to a little more than 1000 after 5 minutes
  3. water temp and oil pressure acted normally during the 10 minutes test
  4. Dark smoke repeated on turning on the engine after switching off and half an hour cooling down
  5. Alarm comes back every time I turn the key to the pre-ignition position to stop after a couple of second the engine is on.
None of this has ever happened during my 10 hours boat ownership before the starter accident. (the new non oem starter was guaranteed compatible with the volvo part number I entered in my search). I found 1 of the 4 clamps holding the back of the hose of both elbows very loose as they were intentionally un tightened. The same clamp in each elbow may not be a coincidence. Sabotage ? Certainly it would be a very imaginative one.
It may be I am facing different problems that all materialize at once but it would certainly be a strange coincidence.

Unfortunately I cannot get much of a help from local mechanic because where I am there are none.

Any idea ?

jeffnick

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: beep BEFORE turning engine on

I have a low oil pressure alarm that comes on when I turn the key on, but not to start. The alarm stays on umtil I start the engine and the oil pressure comes up. You can check for this by starting the engine (when it's cold) then turn it off, as soon as it stops quickly move the key back to the on position. It takes a second or two for my oil pressure to drop (especially with a cold engine) and the alarm won't come on until the oil pressure gauge drops down to ~5psi.

SeaLord

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you Jeffnick
From what I gather on the internet oil pressure is certainly one of the leads.So I will try to start the engine then immediately switch it off ( so it stays cool) and then turn the key back on pre-ignition.
I take your engine is still beeping when you turn key to pre-ignition. Have you further investigated the reason of this anomaly ? Is it due to the oil pressure sensor or something else ? Have you also noticed the initial puff of black smoke coming from your exhaust ?
thanks

DCinVA

Seaman Apprentice

It is normal for the alarm to sound when you turn the key on. Two thing trigger the alarm, low oil pressure, and high engine temp. When the engine is not running you have no oil pressure, hence the alarm. Once you start the engine the alarm should stop sounding. If it continues to sound when the engine is running, then you have an issue.

In terms of smoke, black smoke is fuel, blue smoke is oil. A bit of black smoke at start up is fairly normal for a carbed engine (GL).

Not sure about your hose clamps. I have to winterize my boat for the winter to keep it from freezing, one of the things that is needed for winterization is to drain the fresh water cooling system. This involves removing several of the hoses to drain the water. So perhaps your hoses were loosened during a winterization process.

Good luck

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade

It is normal for the alarm to sound when you turn the key on. Two thing trigger the alarm, low oil pressure, and high engine temp. When the engine is not running you have no oil pressure, hence the alarm. Once you start the engine the alarm should stop sounding. If it continues to sound when the engine is running, then you have an issue.

In terms of smoke, black smoke is fuel, blue smoke is oil. A bit of black smoke at start up is fairly normal for a carbed engine (GL).

Not sure about your hose clamps. I have to winterize my boat for the winter to keep it from freezing, one of the things that is needed for winterization is to drain the fresh water cooling system. This involves removing several of the hoses to drain the water. So perhaps your hoses were loosened during a winterization process.

Good luck

Yep, you don't have a new problem now. Actually, you had a problem the first 10 hours which is now corrected somehow. That alarm SHOULD be on as long as the key is turned to ignition (run) without the engine running. As mentioned, it is the low oil pressure alarm.

What is your hot and cold starting procedure? Smoke on startup sounds like an overly rich mixture. Do you crack the throttle open during start-up? I'd also check the choke operation.

Those clamps aren't routinely checked by anybody unless a leak springs up. They could have loosened, or someone performing maintenance on them forgot to tighten them up. Just tighten them up and check them periodically.

SeaLord

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you skydive and DCinVA.
So it looks I am double tricked: even though what you say makes sense one would not expect an alarm is triggered before the condition occurs (low oil pressure AND engine running) and Volvo, does not give any notice in the user manual nor in the workshop one. Apparently it assumes that it is normal user is shaken by this ear breaker all the time he switches to pre-ignition. Thinking twice this occurs on cars too: only is the red light on the dashboard instead of the alarm. On other engines I have heard sort of pre ignition audible beep but not that loud. I wish I had this info before I cancelled the birthday party of my 11 yrs old daughter. Obviously since then I disassembled all the sensor and thread the many cables that goes to the engine looking for anomaly and order all the possible sensor I could for replacement. These days that was only $130. Eventually I found that is the sensor on top of the oil filter that triggers the alarm and on inspection it looks normal (but who knows ?).

Concerning the smoke at startup: whether engine is cold or hot I do not need to touch the throttle at all since engine starts as soon as my new starter cranks. The rpm touches immediately 3000 comparing to 2000 with the failed starter. Rpm goes down to 1200 in a second. It looks there is an automatic choke. Today no smoke from the exhaust. Am I again tricked ?
I will be grateful for any other thoughts

Pesimist

Seaman

Thank you Jeffnick
From what I gather on the internet oil pressure is certainly one of the leads.So I will try to start the engine then immediately switch it off ( so it stays cool) and then turn the key back on pre-ignition.
I take your engine is still beeping when you turn key to pre-ignition. Have you further investigated the reason of this anomaly ? Is it due to the oil pressure sensor or something else ? Have you also noticed the initial puff of black smoke coming from your exhaust ?
thanks

Don't think about starting it even for a moment without a good flow of water for your impeller. The warning buzzer is normal, it lets you know it is actually working so if oil pressure drops you won't fry your engine. Same as when you turn on the ignition on your car and see all the warning lights illuminate.

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The smoke doesn't sound like much of a concern, especially if it is intermittent. If it continues to give you trouble, try cracking the throttle open about 1/4 of full throttle during the start-up. This is actually Volvo and Merc's suggested start up procedure for carbureted engines. It increases the amount of air flow into the manifold and aids in starting. Black smoke means a rich condition, so leaning it out like this may stop the smoke. It's worth a shot.

SeaLord

Seaman Apprentice

thank you all for the suggestions.
I will update the community if the follow up reveals something unusual

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Hello , I have a 5.0 penta about 5 min after I start I have a continuous 2beep 1 beep etc alarm going off and would like any recomendations . Ty

My recommendation is to start a thread of your own after reading our rules about posting in old threads. While you're there read all to rules.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.