SX Uppercase removal problems - need to replace water nipple

paradiddle

Cadet
I am having a real hard time splitting the upper case off the pivot housing. I have removed the 6 large nyloc nuts, trim pistons and the shift cable. I have tried various methods to split but it sounds like it's still bolted on. If I wack it any harder I'm afraid I will chunk a piece off. Am I missing something ? I have looked at all the manuals and parts diagrams and don't see anything. I just need to replace the raw water nipple that broke off.

2000 SX-M 1.60 outdrive - salt water boat

Last edited:

bajaunderground

Lieutenant
Re: SX Uppercase removal problems - need to replace water nipple

I'm assuming you've removed both hydraulic rams? If not, well the those need removed.

If the were disconnected, then more than likely your u-joints/shaft are frozen in the gimbal bearing? When was the last time the drive was off?

They can be tough, especially when used in salt water. Be careful if you wedge something in there to free it up, don't want to break off part of the housing? Do you have some tow straps and a come-a-long? rig up something slow and controlled and start cranking?

I've had mine twice since September and they come off relatively easy with a little heave ho?!

My bellow replacement: http://forums.iboats.com/volvo-pent...lacing-bellows-sx-drive-pic-heavy-632584.html

Last edited:

paradiddle

Cadet

Trim pistons are off. I bought this boat used 2 years ago. I just replaced just about all cooling parts including badly corroded manifolds and risers. The riser spigots actually broke off when I removed them. The boat is not horrible but the salt does a lot of hidden damage. I don't think a come along will work as I think it will just pull the whole boat. My experience with this stuff is usually that it needs some heat (maybe some seizure around the studs?) and a good place to drive a drift. Too bad there wasn't some jack screw holes.

I guess I was just double checking that I had all screws out and no hidden/secret screws I was missing.

I had already seen your thread and I wish mine looked that good. I'll have to take some pics to compare. I don't think I have any other choices. Thanks

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Have a look here: http://forums.iboats.com/volvo-pent.../volvo-penta-outdrive-stuck-studs-384044.html

Some times if you double nut the studs you can, with lots of penetrating oil unscrew the studs. Heat applied directly to the ends of the studs also sometimes breaks down the corrosion.
However if it is the drive shaft is rusted into the gimbal bearing, then only brute force will get it out.

bajaunderground

Lieutenant

Trim pistons are off. I bought this boat used 2 years ago. I just replaced just about all cooling parts including badly corroded manifolds and risers. The riser spigots actually broke off when I removed them. The boat is not horrible but the salt does a lot of hidden damage. I don't think a come along will work as I think it will just pull the whole boat. My experience with this stuff is usually that it needs some heat (maybe some seizure around the studs?) and a good place to drive a drift. Too bad there wasn't some jack screw holes.

I guess I was just double checking that I had all screws out and no hidden/secret screws I was missing.

I had already seen your thread and I wish mine looked that good. I'll have to take some pics to compare. I don't think I have any other choices. Thanks

Attach the boat to the tow vehicle, set the emergency brake and attach the come-a-long to a fixed wall/truck and crank away...

I personally wouldn't add heat, there's a lot of o-rings and gaskets you could potentially damage, not to mention the paint!

Good Luck!

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade

That's one of the main reasons for pulling the drive every year. When you go to put it back on, use some grease on the 6 studs and oil on the shaft o-rings that rest in the gimbal bearing. That will make removal a breeze next year.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... Put the trim rams back on, put a block of wood at the top of the drive so's it Can't trim up, 'n hit the trim up button,....

It should then push the drive, Off,....

bajaunderground

Lieutenant

Ayuh,.... Put the trim rams back on, put a block of wood at the top of the drive so's it Can't trim up, 'n hit the trim up button,....

genius...this is why we're so fortunate to have guys with the experience and willingness to impart it!

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Bondo, are these trim pumps pretty solid so that doing something like this is safe? I've always been a nancy with my trim because I'm afraid to ruin the pump. Knowing that they are strong enough to push off a corroded drive would make me worry less. Thanks.

Bondo

Staff member

Bondo, are these trim pumps pretty solid so that doing something like this is safe? I've always been a nancy with my trim because I'm afraid to ruin the pump. Knowing that they are strong enough to push off a corroded drive would make me worry less. Thanks.

Ayuh,... It's just a simple electric hyd. pump,...

It pushes so many psi 1 way, 'n abit less psi the other way,...

Nothin' really "Light-duty" 'bout 'em,...
They're built big enough, 'n strong enough to provide the required psi, 'n flows,....

paradiddle

Cadet

Ayuh,... It's just a simple electric hyd. pump,...

It pushes so many psi 1 way, 'n abit less psi the other way,...

Nothin' really "Light-duty" 'bout 'em,...
They're built big enough, 'n strong enough to provide the required psi, 'n flows,....

I got it off with the Trim rams. It took me awhile to figure out how to wood block it. I also used an air hammer to shock the studs and then chisel the parting line. Then I started slowly to apply pressure. It took quite awhile and I didn't want to spit the wood out or crack something else. I had to get it past the studs with pressure before I could pull it myself. At first I thought it was stuck on the gimbal bearing but it slid out after and all looks well inside despite the corrosion. I will have to to a bunch of repair, prep and paint before reassembly plus fix the raw water nipple and seals.

2000 Glastron SX195 5.0 Volvo Penta SX drive

100_5859.jpg100_5869.jpg100_5874.jpg100_5862.jpg

Last edited:

bajaunderground

Lieutenant

Awesome job Para...I'd agree, it was the bolts that had you hung up! The drive bellows look rust free, which is good!

Brett

paradiddle

Cadet

Well I had help from you guys.....

100_5855.jpg100_5873.jpg100_5870.jpg100_5865.jpg100_5860.jpg

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Well done, the rams are powerful enough to damage the top bearing housing if it is really stuck, so for anyone else BE CAREFUL.
Plenty of water resistant grease on the mating surfaces and studs and judging by the corrosion I expect it has not been off in a long time so replacing the drive shaft bellows is advisable whilst it is apart.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

Cobra 5.jpgDrive jack from Stumpy's Fabworks.jpg3-2009, 4-2009 027.jpg

Man you are lucky.
Now you are going to take this thing off once a season right? To check the bellows, gimble & ujoints and grease the all the grease-able stuff including the drive shaft splines? And use some OMC triple guard grease on the area around the studs both on the pivot housing and on the upper drive unit. My boat sits in salt water 6 months out of the year and because I have always removed it once a season, it always comes right off. Get a stand like this and it will make it real easy....Heres a pic of the new stand with my old wood one I made some years back...

paradiddle

Cadet

I'm back together and running. - thanks for all the help. This started out as an overheat and had replaced very corroded stat housing and stat, replace bad rubber impeller, replace very corroded risers and manifolds $$$$ (Barr Marine) and of course re-drill some broken bolts and helicoil those holes. Then find the broken $4.00 plastic part and removal and service of the SX outdrive. I also had to get an alignment tool after a difficult reinstall. That led me to replace the corroded front motor mount adjusters ( I saved the rubber mounts). More cutting...... readjust motor and finally push in - Gimbal was good and got the grease. lathered up as much grease and covered many internal areas.

It runs 50 mph again and I checked compression as I was worried about head gasket/crack. Only have one weak cylinder (-25 psi ) from my check 2 years ago when I bought the boat. The middle cylinders seemed to have a lot of salt water drippage from the leaky corroded risers.

I had to adjust the motor a lot in the front and that may had contributed to the difficulty in removal.
add in corrosion. the corrosion at the nose of the drive that sits against the gimbal boot may also have contributed

I made this jack from your pics. I wasn't using this anymore anyway and I'm glad that now it has a use. I had to jack the boat up a little as i couldn't lower the drive enough even after notching the jack frame - no big deal.

1662140_10202942460272074_1205083462_n.jpg

Last edited:

bajaunderground

Lieutenant

Awesome work Para...the can of worms one repair leads too!

Working on boats reminds me of the kid's story "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie"

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

Good for you, great job!
And now after this, it will come off easy next time.
Figure on a 5 year schedule to replace manifolds/risers, also a good time to do the driveshaft bellows.
I had the original circulation pump on the front of the engine last 22 years, LOL.
I've done the manifolds twice so far (10 years salt water use).
Salt water is tough on any machinery but you see corrosion problems (sometimes very severe) with outboards too and the price parts are a lot more than I/Os. And if you have an OB and never remove the lower unit till the impeller fails, guess what the same thing can happen and its just as much of a hassle to get it off.

paradiddle

Cadet

I actually bought a new brass raw water impeller housing and new impeller. from too many dry starts I malformed the brand new Volvo Impeller so I put my off brand backup in and now its sucking it up just fine. I had the boat out in the water last week and it wasn't cooling for about 5 mins but then must have gulped in and it was fine the rest of the day. When I got back to flush it wouldn't suck it up so I did that last impeller swap and multi-tested all day and its fine again.